testing speed connection

snyper238

Limp Gawd
So I was wanting to test the speed of a connection but it doesn't have a gui so I was hoping to just use wget or something and download some very large file from somewhere...any ideas?

So I was wanting to test the speed of a connection

Are you trying to see how fast a particular system is behind a connection, or just the connection itself? If the connection, why not just plug into a laptop and run it from there?

because of routing stuff I have to use this linux box...I downloaded a 100MB file from cachefly but it was stopping at 340mb/s so I was curious to see if it was the connection or cachefly

Well, when I think bigass file, I think Linux Distro.

That's an Ubuntu .iso from the MIT mirror. I was getting 600kb/s moments ago which is about where my connection stalls out at, so I assume you could go higher right now since we're not in exactly peak hours. Wget that baby?

Won't work, too slow...

I downloaded a 100MB file from cachefly and that seemed to do well but it seems as though I am capping out at 340mb/s

I was hoping to get more but I am still fairly satisfied.

i run a 1gb ramdisk on my crap server box and a 5gb on my main rig. i test file transfer performance from ramdisk a to ramdisk b. pretty cool to see, actually :]

(i also run a 512mb ramdisk on my netbook (1.5gb of ram total) for testing away from home back to my rig)

use downthemall and set the configuration to break the file into 7 or more pieces.

Download an iso from microsoft, they have some crazy bandwidth.

do multiple wget's from different sources and add up the total? dunno if that can be done from a strictly cli since I'm not at all familiar with cli-only linux

Back