Testing P4 3.2 what are safe temps?

Tony Montana

[H]ard|Gawd
Im testing a friend's p4 3.2 northwood with prime95 but it starts to hit 51C is that too much or what are the hightest temp it can take?

51C is not bad at full CPU load. Mine was up to about 58 C, so I cleaned the heatsink and applied a new coat of arctic silver.

The Northwoods self throttle at around 70 C, and in most BIOSes, there's a setting that tells the system to automatically turnoff if the temp reaches a high temp (like around 80C), and I always think of anything under 60 as acceptable.

50C is fine. The stock Intel heatsink will keep the CPU at around 55C.

i have the 7700 zalman and its like 45C @ 3.5 Ghz its my freind's computer im just doing all this for him. We are going to push it to 3.6.

Im at 30*c idle for my stock heatsink Northwood p4 3.2c and around 38*c at full load :D

case temps 22.5*c

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
Im at 30*c idle for my stock heatsink Northwood p4 3.2c and around 38*c at full load :D

case temps 22.5*c

Dude, do you live outside... in the snow?! :p

Either that or it is an Asus mobo, lol.

I ran those exact same cpu temps on my 3.2 @ 3.8 on an Asus P4C800 Dlx with a 24c system temp.

The identical setup reports 52-53c at full load on the Max3 with less Vcore. Some say Abit reports temps 8-12c high and others say Asus reports them low.

jellyhead said:
Dude, do you live outside... in the snow?! :p

Gfs p4 3.0 is idling at 50c running 3.3ghz I just cranked it down and will not run it overclocked anymore as she doesn't need it and it has OEM cooling.

i have a p4p800 and i think asus probe puts it about 5C lower compared to the bios hardware monitor

The girlfriends PC has been running prime95 for the last 15 or so minutes p4 630 OC'd to only 3.1xghz and its running 58C full load. Seems hot what do you guys think? OEM HS/Fan with 1 case fan in the rear sucking air out. Mobo temp rose ~5 degrees while CPU rose over 10 when prime95 had been running..

I take it 58 is pretty normal?

kinda off topic but.. is it right that my cpu never raises temps or lowers no matter what clocks i have it at? i mean at 4ghz, the temps are the same if i put it at stock 3.2ghz

Back