TheChuckster
n00b
- Joined
- Nov 23, 2007
- Messages
- 22
So after a thunderstorm, my server stopped powering on. I didn't observe the thing breaking since I wasn't at home when it happened. It was hooked up to a surge protector, but hey this is lightning we're talking about -- not your every day power surge. The PSU is an Antec TruePower 550 W unit. I thought it could either be the power supply or the board. I took out the PSU, and plugged it into the wall to test it with a multimeter. Here are my observations:
1.) Voltages dissappear after the power supply has been running for a while. They seem to be fine immediately after I turn the power supply on. I don't know if this is a measurement error or correct behavior or what.
2.) Testing the purple wire with ground with a multimeter says no voltage when the switch on the back is ON. This is the +5 V diagnostic wire... it should say +5 V even if the fan is not spinning.
3.) Switch on back of power supply is OFF and shorting the purple wire and the ground still causes the fan to spin. The purple wire should only have an effect IF the switch on the back is ON. There is a visible spark when I do this and the wire gets really hot. Why does this happen with no voltage when I test it with the multimeter? Also, if the switch on the back is OFF, why is this happening? There should be no power at all going through anything.
4.) Shorting the green and the black wires causes the power supply fan to start spinning.
5.) Shorting an orange (+3.3) wire with a black wire causes a spark, and the power supply shuts down completely (have to unplug and replug the AC power plug to get it back running again). Weird.
6.) If the power supply fan is running (green and black shorted) and power supply is ON, the Molex drive power connectors say no voltages. There are no voltages when the power supply fan is not running or when the power supply is OFF either. In other words, I have never been able to get the drive connectors to read any non-zero voltage with either +V terminals (yellow+black or red+black) on the plugs. Weird.
Does this mean the power supply is shot? I hope it is the PSU, and not the board -- otherwise, this could get pretty expensive.
1.) Voltages dissappear after the power supply has been running for a while. They seem to be fine immediately after I turn the power supply on. I don't know if this is a measurement error or correct behavior or what.
2.) Testing the purple wire with ground with a multimeter says no voltage when the switch on the back is ON. This is the +5 V diagnostic wire... it should say +5 V even if the fan is not spinning.
3.) Switch on back of power supply is OFF and shorting the purple wire and the ground still causes the fan to spin. The purple wire should only have an effect IF the switch on the back is ON. There is a visible spark when I do this and the wire gets really hot. Why does this happen with no voltage when I test it with the multimeter? Also, if the switch on the back is OFF, why is this happening? There should be no power at all going through anything.
4.) Shorting the green and the black wires causes the power supply fan to start spinning.
5.) Shorting an orange (+3.3) wire with a black wire causes a spark, and the power supply shuts down completely (have to unplug and replug the AC power plug to get it back running again). Weird.
6.) If the power supply fan is running (green and black shorted) and power supply is ON, the Molex drive power connectors say no voltages. There are no voltages when the power supply fan is not running or when the power supply is OFF either. In other words, I have never been able to get the drive connectors to read any non-zero voltage with either +V terminals (yellow+black or red+black) on the plugs. Weird.
Does this mean the power supply is shot? I hope it is the PSU, and not the board -- otherwise, this could get pretty expensive.