• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Testing my overclock..prime95 or IBT

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
1,697
I think I read that prime95 isn't good to test a cpu overclock anymore. That the Intel cpu burn in utility is better.

What do you guys do to test your cpu overclock for stability? Utility/how long?

I ran the intel burn in utility and found out that even though prime95 didn't error out, the intel utility did. Just wanted to see what you guys are using.

Thanks.
 
Both.

IBT I find good for short tests, as it will fail pretty fast over most others. However, I have had OC's pass 30-40 passes of IBT but fail in 10-18 hours of Prime, so I still run at least 24 hours of Prime after IBT.
 
I use both. They both stress the CPU in different ways.

I do both tests for ~15 minutes for initial stability, then 2-4 hours for final 24/7 usage.
 
Both.

IBT I find good for short tests, as it will fail pretty fast over most others. However, I have had OC's pass 30-40 passes of IBT but fail in 10-18 hours of Prime, so I still run at least 24 hours of Prime after IBT.
This.
 
i run IBT and F@H.. :D IBT for quick checks between changing multipliers and run a few WU's of F@H after i reach the overclock i want. reason for F@H is its a lot more sensitive to overclocks and its far closer to real world applications under heavy load than ibt or prime95. so if F@H fails, i know my overclocks screwed up.
 
I hope nobody else wastes their time reading this thread. Page after page of bickering over AVX and no real info.
The main thing that I suppose might be true from that thread is, Prime 95 might be better for R.A.M. testing versus Linpack.

The AVX thing made the idea of Linpack pointless for stability testing purposes, so I feel that it was relevant to this thread.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top