Testing My Cable Connection

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I've got Brighthouse Networks Lightning Internet service which should be in the neighborhood of ~60 Mbps down. My network is fairly typical for most users:

[cable modem] ---> [asus rt-n66u] ---> LAN / WLAN

My question is what can I do and test to make sure my Internet is exactly what I'm paying for? Should I just directly connect my modem to my laptop & do a bandwidth test from some site? Are there any things I should do / not do when I test? Obviously disable all services on my network like downloads / torrents / anything bandwidth excessive...

Just looking for tips / tricks to test my ISP connection and LAN throughput...

Thank you!

Download a Linux torrent. Seriously that is about the only reliable way of testing sustained bandwidth at that speed range.

Speedtest.net is the standby ofc.

So you're saying I should download a Linux ISO like Debian from a torrent site and test that way?

I was looking for more of a specific test site that can measure my bandwidth fairly reasonable.

So you're saying I should download a Linux ISO like Debian from a torrent site and test that way?

I was looking for more of a specific test site that can measure my bandwidth fairly reasonable.

A large torrent swarm is just about the only reliable way of getting something capable of pushing 50 or 60megabit to test. Unless you have a corporate server on a comparable connection you can access.

Some ISPs design ways of cheating Speedtest.net etc with burst speed etc.

This is why we can't have nice things

Pretty sure Comcast does this on top of their "Powerboost" crap which they said was ending and hasn't. The recent upgrades from 15/2 to 20/4 is actually showing upwards of 30/5 on Speedtest and yet in real practice it doesn't even come close to that with the few second Powerboost, but it does stay consistent at 20/4. Its a joke that it even shows 30 on Speedtest when its nowhere close to that.

Steam will push much more than 60Mbps. I believe they go up to 375Mbps, depending on multiple factors of course. It's not exactly a bandwidth test, but they will shove bits down your throat, so it's a pretty good indicator.

Steam will push much more than 60Mbps. I believe they go up to 375Mbps, depending on multiple factors of course. It's not exactly a bandwidth test, but they will shove bits down your throat, so it's a pretty good indicator.

Ya steam is a great test, i actually prefer testing through steam rather than speedtest. I don't think you have to much worry about brighthouse not giving the advertised speed. I've always had well over my rated speed. When i was paying for 40mb/s, i was getting 55. When i was paying for 60mb/s i was getting at least 70, and now that im paying for the 90mb/s service im getting 125. Could just be the area though.

Back