Testing AMD VCE on Handbrake using a 2400g APU

I had not thought of it in that way really.....i suspect i would just put them all in a fast action high detail mode just to keep things uniform? I do get the point that some movies look way better in perfect 4k compared to some others that look ok in 720p...and i do agree it varys from movie to movie...i might prefer a simpler do them all the same approach? but maybe

Yeah, constant quality is the way to go if you are saving digitally. That way you are not wasting bitrate on scenes that don't need it and ensuring good quality on more demanding ones.

If you are burning to a dvd for use in a camper or something, constant bit rate is probably the way to go as you can fill the disk for highest possible quality with minimal guess work. Useful if you want to get all the Minion movies on one desk for use in an infotainment center.

You just have to factor that transcoding back to dvd does add space.

I had not thought of it in that way really.....i suspect i would just put them all in a fast action high detail mode just to keep things uniform? I do get the point that some movies look way better in perfect 4k compared to some others that look ok in 720p...and i do agree it varys from movie to movie...i might prefer a simpler do them all the same approach? but maybe
When you use cq or crf or whatever it's called it will adapt based on the source. That's why a movie with the same quality setting but a different source can have varying bit rate and size.

If you go to a uniform setup, you'll have encodes that will not be specific to the content or source, so you give up a little efficiency or size, or pq here and there. This makes sense if you're batch encoding a crap ton of files obviously. I use it too for anime releases however I prefer variable bitrate with constant fps. This way I get max bitrate for complex scenes without wasting bitrate on comparatively slow scenes. That said after a while with respect to anime releases, you can tell they've moved away from encoding small files and basically just releasing raws. If you don't take into account the content, you'd just be wasting space. For ex. horriblesubs releases everything in 800MB sizes for 720p now and 1.5Gb for 1080p. I shrink those down to 170MB to 200MB for 720p and 300MB for 1080p for typical average speed content. For the big action and fast paced shows I'll bump it up to 100-200Kbps.

You should also play with your settings, your tune, pq settings, etc. All in all it really comes down to preference. There's no right way or wrong necessarily.

I am so far behind on technology it is not even funny.
Up until yesterday, I actually thought that 4k Ultra HD used a completely different reader (ie different laser wavelength).
Seems they are just Blurays with a few more layers. Yeah, I had no idea.

Anyway, I have a Pioneer BDR-XD05B with a 2018 manufacture date and Firmware 3.10
Supposedly, this is UHD disc capable so I was excited about the chance of trying to rip the sole UHD disc I have in the house.
Apparently this is NOT a Libre drive capable reader which quickly crushed my aspirations.

Oh well.

I am so far behind on technology it is not even funny.
Up until yesterday, I actually thought that 4k Ultra HD used a completely different reader (ie different laser wavelength).
Seems they are just Blurays with a few more layers. Yeah, I had no idea.

Anyway, I have a Pioneer BDR-XD05B with a 2018 manufacture date and Firmware 3.10
Supposedly, this is UHD disc capable so I was excited about the chance of trying to rip the sole UHD disc I have in the house.
Apparently this is NOT a Libre drive capable reader which quickly crushed my aspirations.

Oh well.
im leaning on this one
https://www.newegg.com/p/0Y6-000J-00017?Description=cloner alliance&cm_re=cloner_alliance-_-9SIAG1H7UZ2651-_-Product

what ever i get it likley be from ClonerAlliance a newegg vendor

Yeah, definitely waiting until they drop the price significantly on some of these BDXL drives.

Yeah, definitely waiting until they drop the price significantly on some of these BDXL drives.
are there no older UHD firm wares for your drive? I know a lot of these drives just ship with newer UHD unfriendly bios but can be fixed with older the older UHD friendly roms. Thats pretty much only reason to buy from cloner alliance is they open up the box and flash the older firmwares for the drives that are capable. I might just get one of those 80 dollar liteons cause really i mostly just use the drive once per movie just to copy it to my hard drive lol. (rarely do i burn optical anymore)

are there no older UHD firm wares for your drive? I know a lot of these drives just ship with newer UHD unfriendly bios but can be fixed with older the older UHD friendly roms. Thats pretty much only reason to buy from cloner alliance is they open up the box and flash the older firmwares for the drives that are capable. I might just get one of those 80 dollar liteons cause really i mostly just use the drive once per movie just to copy it to my hard drive lol. (rarely do i burn optical anymore)

Hindsight is 20/20 and I definitely would have bought from them knowing what I do now, but I am stuck with what I have for now.

There is an older firmware, but I was under the problem is lack of Libre support for mkv, which I don't think an older bios will fix.

The MKV forums have lots of support for other drives like LG, but I did not see anything for Pioneer.

Back