Testing a wired NIC with a wireless network and not much knowledge...

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
Hello all... I'm a bit of a doofus when it comes to networking (it's a real weak point for me) but I'm hoping ya'll will be able to help. I sent a couple PMs to a couple folks who I thought would help me on this but one wasn't able to and I haven't heard back from the other despite that person being logged in for several hours after I sent the PM. (You know who you are, and I have no hard feelings towards either of you.)

Here's the situation.

I have a friend in another state who needs a Wired NIC. I got one free from the local tech shop (owner knows me) but it's untested, and I need to make sure it works before I send it off. I also need to find drivers for it. My friend has Windows Vista.

There are a couple complicating factors here. One is --as admitted above-- I have the networking knowledge and experience of Homer Simpson. I can plug in a cable, and I know the basic differences between a modem, a router, and a hub (switches confuse me). I know that cables are rated by Cat #'s, and although I don't recall what Cat is short for, I know that the higher the number, the faster stuff goes through it. That's about as far as I go with networking.

The other issue is the "home network" I have -- in quotes because it's very very minimal. My Internet comes down the pipe via Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband services. (I'm not looking to switch right now even though it's kinda shitty.) So we have a MiFi 4620L piping Internet in from a cell tower or three, to our (mine and my mother's) three computers via WiFi n (it's set so that it's b/g compatible n -- so if I need to run something at a lower speed, I can). I have a Win7 laptop (Aspire 5532, if it matters), and Mom has an XP laptop (HP Compaq tc4200 "convertible") and an XP desktop (custom build around an Intel D525MO mITX Atom board). I also have a desktop that I can use to test the card; it has Vista on it, which is a nice bonus there.

I do have a rather heaping junk pile which will come in handy here. I know I'll need a router and a couple cables. I have a fancy ass (but old) Belkin MIMO b/g router (predates n) and a budget (but older) Belkin b/g router (way predates n). Of the two, the non-MIMO budget one is 100% known good. (The fancy ass MIMO router I'm less certain of, the lights work when power's applied but that's all I know. We never have used it.) I've also got two or three ordinary Ethernet cables, but no crossover cables. (I can get model #s off the two routers if that matters at all; that's not a big deal.)

I think what I need to do is rig something up with my Win7 laptop so that it pipes the 'Net it's receiving wirelessly out through its LAN port, and then hook that up to the "Net goes here" port on one of the routers, and hook the NIC-in-a-box up to one of the "computers go here" ports on that same router.

I can handle the cables. What I can't figure out is how to get the 'Net to go in my laptop's WiFi card and out its LAN port. If someone here can tell me how, I'll do it. <galaxyquest>"Explain it as you would to a child!"</galaxyquest>

Can anyone help?

Just have your friend get a 3com 3c905b card off the internet- they work with all versions of Windows back to at least W2K.
Before you get all pissy for no reponse, their is a sticky with the helpful title 'Read This First' that will answer your question.

What I would suggest doing is installing the network adapter in your desktop. Using one of the older routers and connecting the desktop to the router. Try to ping the router from the desktop and then open the web interface for the router from the desktop. If all that works, the card should be good.

@RocketTech -- (1) I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible, hence why I didn't immediately send the friend to Newegg. He and I both have very little money with which to do this. (2) I didn't see anything in the FAQ about piping WiFi to wired in one computer, and I looked pretty carefully.

@Sp33dFr33k -- sounds like you're saying this is an "if it works it works" thing -- in other words, if it can access a router config page, it'll be fine piping pages from the friend's DSL modem/router?

@all -- one last question. How do I identify the card well enough to locate drivers? It's a fairly anonymous card, but it's got two Intel chips (82557 and 82555), and markings include an FCC ID and a barcode sticker on the back with a bunch of alphanumeric jumble that I can't understand because I'm not a computer. It's also got two other numbers on the back (etched onto the PCB as traces, not on a sticker) that I don't recognize, either. No obvious branding of any sort, however... very strange...

I'd start with the drivers from Intel's website for the 82557 and 82555 only if Vista doesn't recognize it. Chances are Vista will have the drivers already if it's an Intel or similar card.

Oh duh... here's the numbers on the card...

FCC ID -- EJMNPDSPD035
Barcode junk -- 00a0c95dfe2f14713 667280-003
PCB Label #1 -- PB667281-002
PCB Label #2 -- MP667282-002

There's also some other junk on the PCB, I think this is just boring circuit board batch number junk but here goes...

KALEX 94V-0
K668 [UR logo] 0997

There's also something that looks like it was stamped with white ink on a brown square of the PCB that reads 'T42' upside-down.

That's all they wrote...

EDIT: thanks, Sp33dFr33k, I'll try plugging in, booting up, and seeing what happens, first...

This is not the cheap route, but while waiting for are fiber to be ran/installed we were also using a version of Verizon's MiFi and instead of buying wireless cards/adapters for each of the pcs I picked up a very cheap wireless extended that had a built in 4 port switch. By connecting the extender to the Mifi we where able to connect all pcs by cable. Not to mention the wireless output/range was a lot better on the extender than the Mifi itself and the speeds were just as fast.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Cradlepoint routers, neither of which are new enough for our current MiFi. One is new enough for our OLD MiFi (a 2200) and one came with a 4g USB dongle that we never really used.

Can't find a damn driver :mad: :mad: :mad:

The stock intel one doesn't work (PROwin32.exe) and a Dell one I found on CNET doesn't work either >,<

HELP!!

Turns out the NIC is a Pro/100B -- supported through XP and nothing later... :( I'll talk to my tech shop friend, see if I can get a newer card.

Oh well.

Since I know how to test the card once I get it, I'll ask the mods to close this thread.

I have a few nic cards here - what does it use? (pci)
Let me know and i can send one that will work.

That'd be great! *ANY* 10/100 PCI ("old" PCI) ethernet NIC will work, as long as it has Vista support.

A pity I'm flat broke -- if I could pay for priority mail I would. But my PP has $0.81 in it right now :(

Back