testing 27" ACD with font smoothing off

dopple

Gawd
i'll be at the istore and need to check the ACD with font smoothing off. it runs on lion on a macmini or some tiny cube thingy.

How do i check it without installing windows XP? there doesnt seem to be any system wide font smoothing off switch on lion from what ive searched so far.

You can only turn off font smoothing to a certain font size by default in the settings.

If you want to expand it to cover even larger fonts - you have to use a program called tinkertool

You may have to log out and log back in to see the difference

There is no way to turn it completely off.

will taking screenshots with cleartype off in windows xp at 2560x1440 and checking them on the Apple display work?

will taking screenshots with cleartype off in windows xp at 2560x1440 and checking them on the Apple display work?

I have an a 27 iMac and a 27 ACD hooked to pc. No matter what I do, I can not get the font in Windows 7 to look as good as on OSX. I have turned clear type off and that does indeed help but it still looks ruff and not as clear for text as OSX.

If you find a way to make it look similar to OSX let me know!

I have an a 27 iMac and a 27 ACD hooked to pc. No matter what I do, I can not get the font in Windows 7 to look as good as on OSX. I have turned clear type off and that does indeed help but it still looks ruff and not as clear for text as OSX.

which OSX version is on the iMac?

It's funny because my experience is the opposite. I can't stand the font smoothing in OSX. I much, much prefer the non-cleartype font on Windows (font smoothing disabled in windows). The only time I think the font smoothing is acceptable is when the PPI is high - as in the case with the iPhone, iPad 3, and retina display Macbook Pro. Otherwise it just looks too blurry to me. Whatever you're used to is likely what will be pleasing to your eyes.

This actually should work since it's 1:1 pixels.

It's funny because my experience is the opposite. I can't stand the font smoothing in OSX. I much, much prefer the non-cleartype font on Windows (font smoothing disabled in windows). The only time I think the font smoothing is acceptable is when the PPI is high - as in the case with the iPhone, iPad 3, and retina display Macbook Pro. Otherwise it just looks too blurry to me. Whatever you're used to is likely what will be pleasing to your eyes.

i prefer that too. mac font smoothing is a blur. thanks for the confirmation.

try this to remove all font smoothing from windows 7

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000000
"FontSmoothing"="0"

So wait, I have clear type disabled, I need also do want you describe above to get the font smoothing off? I will try this tonight, maybe the text will look better on my ACD :0

So wait, I have clear type disabled, I need also do want you describe above to get the font smoothing off? I will try this tonight, maybe the text will look better on my ACD :0

ya this is also needed to get all font smoothing off. goodluck. let me know how it looks.:D

Back