Tested 3 sound devices

Chevyman03

n00b
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
56
I tested out 3 different audio sources on my pc today with surprising results. I tested the onboard sound from my mobo, my old original Audigy, and a new X-Fi extreme music sound card.

My pc is as follows
C2D e6600@3600mhz
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 mobo
2024 meg ddr2 pc 6400@800mhz
Nvidia 6800gt

I used HL2 lost coast demo @1680x1050 2xaa and 4x af and 3dmark03 at defualt settings.

HL2 result
mobo audio 54.78
audigy1 54.58
X-fi 54.52

3dmark2003 results
mobo audio no sound 130.4, 24 sounds 122.1, 60 sounds-----
Audigy1 no sound 133.7, 24 sounds 120.1, 60 sounds 107.7
X-fi no sound 123.2, 24 sounds 115.1, 60 sounds 109.3

I wanted to mention I cleaned all drivers for each audio device. I am disapointed in the performance of the x-fi as I was hoping for better framerates. I can honestly say there is a dramatic difference in the sound qaulity and the sound positioning.
 
I would say that at that resolution in HL2, your GPU will be the limiting factor. At a lower resolution like in the 3DMark test, your CPU will be your limiting factor, anyway is there any difference between a 133fps and a 110fps?
 
alg7_munif said:
I would say that at that resolution in HL2, your GPU will be the limiting factor. At a lower resolution like in the 3DMark test, your CPU will be your limiting factor, anyway is there any difference between a 133fps and a 110fps?

I agree with you on the HL2 being limited, but it is still disapointing to take an audigy1 and beat or be cometitive with an X-fi. An original audigy is pretty old and to see little to no progress in performance with a new card stinks. The difference in perfomance can make an impact especially if your running framerates in the low 30's or upper 20's.
 
Lol, I think that if you want performance, it is better for you to sell your GPU and get a new one, it will give you more performance with the same amount of money. For me sound cards are purely for sound, the best sound card is the card that can give me the best sound. As for games 40-60fps is good enough for me.
 
I wanted to add to my benchmarks as I updated the X-fi drivers and got rid of most of there other programs that came with it.
HL2 result
X-fi 55.14
3DMark 2003 results
nosound 133.7, 24 sounds 124.5, 60 sounds 116.7

I am now satisfied as the X-fi is now working as advertised better sound quality and performance. Every score I got atleast equaled or improved performance. I think one of the main problems that dropped the performance is running the programs that came with the install cd ate up some cpu%. There were 2 programs that combined used up like 1-2% cpu with the full cd install. I don't think I ever has a creative product that didn't have software issues. Actually when everything was installed from the cd I was having problems with some of the apps no working correctly and or not shutting down and loading the cpu.
 
Most of us with the X-Fi cards never use the install CD; we simply put the card in, then go to the Creative web site to install the latest drivers.
 
rblews said:
Most of us with the X-Fi cards never use the install CD; we simply put the card in, then go to the Creative web site to install the latest drivers.
I wanted to give creative a chance to impress me with there software lol I should have known better. :rolleyes:
 
Chevyman03 said:
I wanted to mention I cleaned all drivers for each audio device. I am disapointed in the performance of the x-fi as I was hoping for better framerates. I can honestly say there is a dramatic difference in the sound qaulity and the sound positioning.
On such a high end processor the TINY amount of onboard processing used for sound wouldn't effect it much at all. Heck, your lucky you noticed...
 
Back
Top