• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Test results on Raptors

ATW

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
476
Ran HDtach on my pair of 36GB Raptors in Raid 0.....they have seemed awful slow. Are the results here about where they should be?

30253206.jpg
 
i get 14.1 access time
76.5mb random burst
read speed max 62.2, min. 35.8, avg. 52.3

with a single 80gb WD caviar 8mb cache drive, thats pretty full so im sure min would be a little better with a fresh install.

im currently debating if i should get 2x 36gb raptors or 2x 74.6gb raptors, i know the 74's are faster but a little on the expensive side
 
personaly i wouldnt know hehe, in about 2 weeks i get my new debit card and ill buy 2 raptors and put them on raid 0 then post what i get and we can compare untill then if anyone else has raptors on raid 0 pls post your score from HDtach 2.7
 
get HDtach 3.0 and post those results...

sorry, it isn't available for DL yet, only for the beta 3.0 users...

It will be ready soon.
 
I think your access time and burst rate scores are about right for that first-generation Raptor. But the cyclic sequential-read curve is what most RAID0 setups would produce. Ideally, the curve should slope down gently as the graph goes further to the right. But RAID0 striping makes the curve cycle up and down throughout the graph.
 
Ill post mine when I get home. From memory though your scores look better than mine.

Would be good if everyone with a Raptor Raid 0 Array could post there scores. Also mention the controller your using.
 
Here's mine. 2X36gb Raptors on Intel ICH5R Raid0, 16kb stripe.

hdtach1.jpg
 
kronchev said:
thats crazy-fast, more details please
Its in the system in my sig. I believe the cluster size is set as 512k.I defrag twice a week using O&O Complete/Access defrag utility. The cables are standard Abit SATA, mine happen to be shielded. Using unshielded cables made very little differance. The drives are OEMs from Newegg, and do have a loud high pitched whine, which is quite annoying, but the speed is worth it :D
 
Got mine on the Nvidia Raid controller on the MSI K8N. So far I haven't been too impressed with them...loaded XP in about 7-8 minutes and Far Cry in 11-12, load times in games are no faster than my previous single 120GB/8mb SATA drive.
 
ATW said:
Got mine on the Nvidia Raid controller on the MSI K8N. So far I haven't been too impressed with them...loaded XP in about 7-8 minutes and Far Cry in 11-12, load times in games are no faster than my previous single 120GB/8mb SATA drive.
Noticing the same thing. My boot times are crazy fast, game loads I dont see much improvement. I only boot my machine once a day so thats not exaclty a deal sealer for me.
 
It takes me roughly the same as if not longer to boot up XP with these than the drive mentioned in my last post. I'd guesstimate it takes about 25-30 seconds after I hit the power switch before XP is up and running. They make absolutely ZERO noise, but I'm not impressed with them in the least. Map load times in BF1942, BFV, Far Cry are all exactly the same as the last drive.
 
saturnine2 said:
Its in the system in my sig. I believe the cluster size is set as 512k.I defrag twice a week using O&O Complete/Access defrag utility. The cables are standard Abit SATA, mine happen to be shielded. Using unshielded cables made very little differance. The drives are OEMs from Newegg, and do have a loud high pitched whine, which is quite annoying, but the speed is worth it :D

512 stripe ? Geezs mate.. Little high isnt it?
 
saturnine2 said:
Its in the system in my sig. I believe the cluster size is set as 512k.I defrag twice a week using O&O Complete/Access defrag utility. The cables are standard Abit SATA, mine happen to be shielded. Using unshielded cables made very little differance. The drives are OEMs from Newegg, and do have a loud high pitched whine, which is quite annoying, but the speed is worth it :D

I might reformat mine with the bigger cluster size if it does make a huge speed difference
 
SKiTLz said:
512 stripe ? Geezs mate.. Little high isnt it?

not striple, cluster. as in each drive stores data in 512k chunks. not space efficent at all if you have many files but makes big files transfer quicker.
 
Back
Top