• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

test boot results in silence

gkg101

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
422
I assembled the parts for a new build (in signature). After I got all the parts connected, checked, and the wiring somewhat tidy, I attempted a test boot monitoring the motherboard video port. I was hoping to see a message on screen saying something like no boot media found. But all I got was silence. I guess it's the PSU or the motherboard that's the problem (l will assume for now that I'm not at fault although this is just my 3rd build). Note, the RAM was working in my previous computer, and I have a working spare Corsair HX620W PSU on hand that I'd like test while it's sitting here in front of me outside the case. Any special precautions to take besides not spilling coffee? Are these the steps: swap out the ATX and CPU connectors, connect power? Or is there a better way to determine what's wrong? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
did you try the gtx660's port? if you have a dedicated gpu then you should be connected to that not the onboard...
yes, you can just connect the other psu like that.
 
Thanks for the go ahead. For now I just want the system to turn on. If there's to be problems with GPU, I'll cross that road if it's a problem.
 
Does the PSU come on when you hit the power button?

Why are you connecting to the motherboards video port instead of your discrete GPU?
 
Skillz
A YouTube instructional video suggested that it would eliminate a potentional cause of failure - to start with just the essentials.
Update: the computer started up with the Corsair PSU outside the case but also started up when switched back to the EVGA 500W. The problem was that the ATX connector wasn't seated. My NZXT Source 210 Elite shipped with a faulty too large standoff hole making it impossible to use one of the screws. The board would flex a lot when connecting the ATX connector. This made me shy of applying necessary force when removing or insrallinig the connector. I reminded myself to press harder when putting the EVGA back online. DOH
 
Glad you got it worked out.

That video is correct, but you never mentioned you took the discrete GPU out to test. We were all assuming you still had it in the system, but was trying to use the iGPU instead.
 
At the time of my post the GTX 6600 was outside case (before being put back) along with other components to be discarded. But you guys wouldn't have known that. My mistake. Thanks for your help.
 
Back
Top