Tessellation Hero Challenge (NV OR AMD)!! Bring it!!

GF104 does scale great, my scores come close to doubling when comparing single GPU to SLI. But the highest score I can get with 2 x 460 overclocked 900/1800/2000 with a 980X and PCIe @ 110MHz is 24.9 without reducing the Nvidia control panel settings from default. My score did go up about 10% by running fullscreen versus windowed, those who ran the challenge windowed should re-run it fullscreen.

That said I think tessellation performance of the GF104 is a bit hobbled compared to the GF100/110 GPUs, beyond the expected difference from clock rates and number of SM cores. I still don't think that the 460 SLI can match a single 580 with these crazy high levels of tesselation, but that may not be the case with games and other benchmarks (including Unigine Heaven) with more typical levels of tesselation.

Could you re-run with LOD bias optimized and lowest quality texture filtering? I'd like to see if that helps or if this benchmark is bound by something else.

Could you re-run with LOD bias optimized and lowest quality texture filtering? I'd like to see if that helps or if this benchmark is bound by something else.

I'll give this a try and report back.

I did see at a thread on another site that someone who got a 30+ score with a SLI 460 repeated the test with the proper settings and the score dropped to the 23-24 range which is consistent with what I found. I was pretty sure my scores weren't low because of my rig, as the usual standardized benchmarks I run usually come out very well and I also have good supporting parts and the system is reasonably tweaked.

With high levels of tessellation the GF104 drops away from the GF100/GF110 including the 465. Otherwise they scale really well in SLI, and at the current pricing they are a very worthy alternative to a single 480 or 580. I get a 3DMark Vantage GPU score (P) of around 33,000 with PhysX off, which is quite impressive for under $400 invested.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this challenge which has concluded.

This was just a first attempt at doing something like this; I wanted to see how much work I'd need to put into a multi-community challenge. ... quite a bit.

I'll create another challenge at a later point, with more clearly defined and simple rules and requirements. :)

Until next time... :D

Back