Tesla Rig for Big Adv?

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
Anyone consider the possibility of having gpu's churn a Big Adv? Does a Tesla system allow you to basically mimic the cpu with the gpu or does it require special programming? Reason I ask is with the speed one could point a Big Adv at a Tesla machine and probaby get 2 or 3 Big Adv processing at the same time.

Just was curious more than anything.

I would likw to know this myself. it is still a gpu though isnt it even if it doesnt have video output?

very interesting question :D

I understand "mimicing" the CPU, but would it have access to the more advanced instruction sets that the newer CPUs have. Isn't these instruction sets the reason for faster crunching over older CPUs?

If someone could program it, then sure. But it wouldnt work any easier on a Tesla than on a GTX 260

The fact that these GPUs are designed for GPGPU doesn't mean that they are well-suited to the same kinds of tasks that CPUs are. There is still a big difference between the design of a CPU and a GPU. CPUs are very good at handling a few large and complex tasks, whereas GPUs are very good at performing a great deal of very simple calculations simultaneously.

Back