Tesla Retroactively Extends Free Unlimited Supercharging to All Current Vehicles

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Tesla announced the end of unlimited free Supercharging for future purchases back in November, but that decision has been reversed: the perk has been revived for all current owners. Originally, any orders after 1/15/17 would be placed on a model in which owners would have to pay for Supercharger usage after their yearly credits (which would provide around 1000 miles of range) were used up. Now, free charging is available indefinitely once again. Prospective buyers may attain the same privilege through a new referral program.

It’s not clear how many owners are affected by this change since the limit to order was January 15 and a delivery before April 1st – meaning all vehicles delivered over the past 2 months were under the paid model and now they are not anymore. At the very least, it should have made about 10,000 owners very happy. Therefore, the only way to get free Supercharging going forward will be to get a referral code from a current owner, which is limited to 5 per owner until the end of the year.

Understood Model 3s can't get free supercharging once the car is released this year, but can a Model 3 owner use a referral code to get free supercharging?

With a Supercharger literally about 200 feet from my apartment I can assure you it gets used 24/7 here in downtown Las Vegas so yeah, this will matter to a great many owners absolutely.

At least till they reverse the decision again, of course. :D

I wonder if tesla charging stations are going to turn into the new grinder?

Translation: The electric car market will collapse on it's own without being subsidized...
If you're only buying a $100.000 car because of the optional free fuel, then something is seriously unscrewed in your head.

Yes, or they could just make actual affordable electric cars.
Make affordable electric cars AND build the infrastructure to support recharging across the entire country and not just in urban area's AND increase the recycling capacity for the toxic batteries that power electric cars that cannot be allowed to contaminate the water supply AND train all the new electric car mechanics so there will not be a mechanic shortage.

The fact is electric cars are not now and may never be more economical than ICE's and are not "greener" and have their own toxic nastiness that is a threat to the environment. There is nothing that guarantee's the American public will support electric cars as anything more than niche vehicles for urban dwellers.

Make affordable electric cars AND build the infrastructure to support recharging across the entire country and not just in urban area's AND increase the recycling capacity for the toxic batteries that power electric cars that cannot be allowed to contaminate the water supply AND train all the new electric car mechanics so there will not be a mechanic shortage.

The fact is electric cars are not now and may never be more economical than ICE's and are not "greener" and have their own toxic nastiness that is a threat to the environment. There is nothing that guarantee's the American public will support electric cars as anything more than niche vehicles for urban dwellers.

it would probably help if governments would stop subsidizing the oil car market as well.

You don't even need most of the things you posted, Telsa just needs to stop making luxury and make some bare bones cars. go back to roll up windows, ya lazy fucks.

I got the email over the weekend. They really need to get their messaging straight.

Lithium Polymer batteries are recyclable. Contaminated water? What happens to the tons of oil dripped onto roads? The many more tons leaked into the environment in general when pipelines blow out? The magic ICE fairy cleans it up? LOL. Let me known when I need to head down to the beach to clean lithium off seabirds and otters.

I'm biased. I drive a Tesla 100d. In a state where most of our power comes from hydro and natural gas. I have access to a national charging network. The one Tesla built. It's not Teslas problem that GM and the rest build their EVs merely to offset fleet efficiency goals while failing to mass deploy CCS charging. Which is too bad, because the Bolt is a great EV.

But yea, affordability is an issue. I can afford my yuppie tree hugging electro barge. And the Bolt can be expensive when optioned out.

I bought my Tesla because it's FUCKING AWESOME. Anyone who buys to save money on gas is an idiot. The enviro-tree-hugger stuff is a nice bonus but that was not my motivation.

Back