Tesla Freaking Out Over Model X Production?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know if this is what you would call freaking out. I think people might be reading more into this than they should be. Maybe all the preorders the company just had for the Model 3 will help Tesla ramp up production on the Model X.

Saying that quality has "never been better," when you've already pushed some 2,000-plus vehicles out the door isn't exactly confidence inspiring to early adopters. Add in the "hubris in adding far too much new technology," the fact that Tesla sued a prototype-door supplier because the product was crap and the idea of management crawling all over the production line, and you've got the makings of an internal freakout, however slight.

bumpsahead250.gif

Shit is going to happen, the question is how do you handle it? Do you pull a Gm or do you actually do the right thing?

Someone at CNet just noticed that Tesla headlines generates ad revenue. Its like the automotive version of Star Citizen clickbait. Give $1000 now, get a virtual battleship / chance to buy a super-car in 2 years. So crazy, people are paying for vaporware by the hundreds of thousands! Say anything at all about it, no matter how inane, and get moar clicks!

Trump effect: Click-rate increases as inanity goes up.

Last edited:
I just have this feeling that the UAW will see this as a great bargining chip to strike; just like the Union workers did for the Boeing dreamliner

Not sure about factory workers, but the Tesla plant in northern Nevada is being built union.

The guy who started this article is obviously shorting Tesla
and has lost thousands the past month

Not sure about factory workers, but the Tesla plant in northern Nevada is being built union.

Yes, you pretty much can't build a building without some unionized construction workers. And they were causing trouble at the battery factory. They staged a one day walkout because some contractors were using worker from out of state.

But that has nothing to do with building the cars. UAW makes the news for occasionally pouting because they have been totally rebuffed by happy, well paid Tesla Assembly workers and vows to fight on trying to recruit them, so they can collect more dues and slow down production.

Yes, you pretty much can't build a building without some unionized construction workers. And they were causing trouble at the battery factory. They staged a one day walkout because some contractors were using worker from out of state.

But that has nothing to do with building the cars. UAW makes the news for occasionally pouting because they have been totally rebuffed by happy, well paid Tesla Assembly workers and vows to fight on trying to recruit them, so they can collect more dues and slow down production.
Yeah, because of the carpenters being used, less than 50% were from out of state. Its fucking bullshit and I am tired of it. Nevada gives so many tax breaks and incentives for companies to build here with promises of using local workers and it never happens. And guess what, no one does anything. There was a huge solar plant built in Tonopah which was supposed to be something like 90% Nevadan workers but they were found using illegals from Texas, NM, California. Workers need to stand up. I am not saying everything that unions do is right, but its ridiculous that these companies get these HUGE tax breaks and can back up on their obligation only for our government to say "ok, proceed as we are getting what we want".

And honestly, their 50% workforce of Nevadans is crap IMO. There are tens of thousands of workers in Southern Nevada who would GLADLY travel 6-7 hours up there for work.

Yeah, because of the carpenters being used, less than 50% were from out of state. Its fucking bullshit and I am tired of it. Nevada gives so many tax breaks and incentives for companies to build here with promises of using local workers and it never happens. And guess what, no one does anything. There was a huge solar plant built in Tonopah which was supposed to be something like 90% Nevadan workers but they were found using illegals from Texas, NM, California. Workers need to stand up. I am not saying everything that unions do is right, but its ridiculous that these companies get these HUGE tax breaks and can back up on their obligation only for our government to say "ok, proceed as we are getting what we want".

And honestly, their 50% workforce of Nevadans is crap IMO. There are tens of thousands of workers in Southern Nevada who would GLADLY travel 6-7 hours up there for work.

Well It just looks to me like Unions continuing to earn their bad reputation, throwing a wrench in progress over petty nonsense. It's this kind of bullshit could potentially kill projects before they even start.

tesla-protest.jpg

Union to Tesla: Gigafactory Worker Protest Is Just the Beginning
"So far, data from Tesla suggests the company has well exceeded that requirement. Tesla said in a report to Nevada’s economic development office that in the fourth quarter of 2015, there was a weekly average of 894 construction workers, of which 74% were residents of Nevada. Tesla reported that since the project began there’s been a weekly average of 645 construction workers, of which 73% have been residents of Nevada. Koch says the union lobbied state legislators unsuccessfully to require 100% of workers be Nevada residents."

Great. I guess by contract, they are doing it "right". They are utilizing OVER 50% though on the carpenters side which is why they are picketing and while I am not a carpenter, I do not disagree with them.

And I believe that it should be 100% Nevadan workers as well, or at least damn close. The state is giving Tesla TONS of breaks, at least use in-state workers. If they were doing this privately, there would be no issue. Start taking state money and I expect more.

That, and robots don't strike.

Of course not. They're smarter than that. (Yep, union workers are dumber than robots...I said it.) They'll plan everything out in secret before rising up and killing us all.

Great. I guess by contract, they are doing it "right". They are utilizing OVER 50% though on the carpenters side which is why they are picketing and while I am not a carpenter, I do not disagree with them.

And I believe that it should be 100% Nevadan workers as well, or at least damn close. The state is giving Tesla TONS of breaks, at least use in-state workers. If they were doing this privately, there would be no issue. Start taking state money and I expect more.

It is that kind Union mentality (protectionism and entitlement) and inflexibility that kills contracts. A business wants to see some flexibility so they know there will be solutions to any issues that crop up, not entitlement and intractability.

Regardless of what you think, Tesla is more than living up to their contractual obligations. The unions are just showing they deserve their reputation of disruptive griping over nothing.

Back