TERRIBLY low output from ALC889

bobdole369

Gawd
Joined
Jun 27, 2004
Messages
856
Soundmax HD audio and Vista - I *think* its an ALC 888 or 889a - In any event I have ridiculously low output from any output jack when connected to headphones. Even on something I know is modulated at 100% - its sooooo quiet its ridiculous. Its not the headphones - connect it to an amp and its plenty. Its like I'm listening to a line out with headphones. Shit thats probably it!

Anyone know if its possible to select "headphones" via the Soundmax software - or if an amp even exists? I guess I'm stuck with building a headphone amp yes?
 
if you have an ALC88x, there should be a Realtek HD Audio Manager applet in the control panel.

Open that up and click the folder icon which is located in the top right-hand corner of the window. Select the option for "Enable Auto Pop-up dialog when device is plugged in"

Unplug your headphones and then plug them back in. It should ask you "what kind of device have you plugged in?". Select headphones and you should notice a slight boost in volume. I did at least, and I'm using Sennheiser HD-555s w/ ALC889a and Vista x64
 
Woops, wrong MB, not an ALC88x, but a ADI AD1988B - the realtek stuff I'm familiar with. However I don't seem to have an option anywhere to specify "headphones" which leads me to believe my original thought - that I need a headphone amp - is correct.
 
Back
Top