Terrible Heat Issue (Q6600 G0)

Bleedblue12345

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I just tidied up the inside of my case, and my temps have skyrocketed.....

Here is a picture:

:eek:

The Vcore is very low at load (only 1.15ish V) and I am still touching 70C on my q6600 (G0 revision) at stock on a well ventilated case with a Tuniq Tower...

With my OC I was touching 95C :eek:

I checked and my fans are working fine and my heatsink is not loose.... (if anything temps should be a few degrees better as i redid all of my cable management and other things....)

Also that 10C delta between cores has me thinking something is up...

I am thinking that tomorrow I will take the mobo out, lap both the HS (my Tuniq Tower) and CPU, then reapply some good thermal paste and see how it goes, does anyone have any other opinions?

Probably a bad mount. The screws on the tuniq are a piece of shit, I'd honestly get rid of it (I got rid of mine and couldn't be happier).

Probably a bad mount. The screws on the tuniq are a piece of shit, I'd honestly get rid of it (I got rid of mine and couldn't be happier).

you mean buy a new cooler?

edit- if so what should i get if i seriously consider OC'ing important...

edit- the thing is i didnt touch my CPU at all.... during my rewiring (maybe i bumped it?)

I'm using Prolimatech megahalems with noctua 120mm fan and my temps are 65c max when OC'ed to 3.25ghz 1.325v and stressing with newest OCCT. In some test it really stresses the cpu but when i'm playing games or running 3dmark06 the temps are usually under 60c (55c or smth). Room temperature is about 24.3C. There's new Thermalright CPU cooler out to so maybe check that one out if its doing a better job.

the cpu is Q6600 G0.

Probably bumped it and due to it's weight and bad pressure the paste seal was broken causing your fuck ups. I'd go with a true 120 with 2x fans.

Alright im going to try lapping tonight (both IHS and Tower.....)

I have all the materials except does anyone know what I can cover the back on my CPU with (pin side) so as to not damage it?

Alright im going to try lapping tonight (both IHS and Tower.....)

I have all the materials except does anyone know what I can cover the back on my CPU with (pin side) so as to not damage it?

I used the little black clip type thing that came with the processor. But if you didn't buy a retail processor you can use painters tape.

And as crazy as it seems I've seen heatpipe coolers lose their effectiveness over time. My old SI-128 doesn't cool for shit anymore for some reason. Originally had it on my Q6600 at 3.2 and never saw temps over 55c. Then it started getting hotter and hotter and hotter and no matter what I did, remounts, lapping, praying, temps just kept getting higher and higher. Bought a HDT-S1283 and 2x yate loon med fans and never looked back.

lapping + washer mod. Some need it more than others.. not the best quality control on these coolers but when you get it working they're fantastic. Just take more effort than worth imho. Coolers should work out of the box without a ton of mods.

Sounds to me like poor mounting pressure is the problem here.

Either buy a new heatsink or investigate mods to fix the problem with your specific heatsink.

Mounting pressure counts way more than surface flatness and TIM application when dealing with a heavy heatsink in a tower case IMO.

Back