Terminator-Style Contact Lens Closer to Reality

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, when they say "Terminator style" contacts, are we talking heads-up display or red robot eyeball in a bloody socket? Because, from the looks of the thing, you could end up with either. :eek: Thanks to Railhaus for the linkage.

"Some day maybe we'll have full-fledged streaming in your contact lenses," said Babak Amir Parviz, an associate professor of electrical engineering at the University of Washington who co-authored a paper describing the computerized new contact lens in the latest issue of the Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering.

All us people without a need for corrective lens are screwed in the future, huh. :p

I just paid big bucks for laser surgery and be rid of contacts forever. You wont catch me putting them in my eyes again!

All us people without a need for corrective lens are screwed in the future, huh. :p

Not really, they have some that don't correct site but they use for changing eye color. in this case you would be using them just as a display.

then apple will buys these dudes out call it the I contact or I lens make a carp version of it that makes you go blind or catches fire, and then sell it to all the clueless apple hipsters with ads and shiny white plastic and praise the anti christ AKA Steve jobs for making it and call it revolutionary innovative.

There's not that much difference between an LED and a laser diode, so why not?
Would be a pretty big challenge right now. Due to size constraints, the contact lens is powered with wireless power transfer. Also actually burning miliwatts is out of the question due to heating of the eye from the circuitry. It is actually a challenge to get a lot of functionality into the setup. The IC on the contact lens is limited to about 1x1mm and has to be thinned down to ~10um in thickness. Anything thicker would stick out too much and cause eye irritation. There should be some pretty interesting applications though. The same group has also demonstrated using the technology for creating a wireless glucose sensor that reads glucose levels in the eye.

then apple will buys these dudes out call it the I contact or I lens make a carp version of it that makes you go blind or catches fire, and then sell it to all the clueless apple hipsters with ads and shiny white plastic and praise the anti christ AKA Steve jobs for making it and call it revolutionary innovative.

Sounds about right :rolleyes:

I think you are missing the obvious name: iSight

Apple hate in a non-apple thread by before 10 posts. I am impressed [H].:rolleyes:

Actually the ones WITH need for corrective lenses are screwed. A standard pair of halloween lenses are about $100, to get them corrective will double that price.

Back