Terminator-Like Carbon Fiber Prosthetic Arm

If I understand correctly, he has 2 inputs via the muscles in his arm and then can change what those inputs do by changing the mode. So if he wants to pick something up, he changes to grip mode, then can pick it up, hold it tight, release it and put it back down again all without changing mode.

I know someone with 1 arm who I'm sure would love something like this, as he struggles with a lot of simple tasks where he has to hold something in one hand and do something with it using the other hand. You don't realise how much you actually need 2 hands for basic tasks. He actually has an artificial arm with a claw on the end, and he opens and closes the claw with his shoulder muscle, but it's purely a mechanical system, so the idea for an artificial arm controlled by other muscles like in this video isn't new, his arm would be around 30 years old, it's just using modern materials and methods to improve on it. My friend's artificial arm is very cumbersome and hurts his arm at the joint, so he rarely ever uses it except when riding his motorbike.
From the video I took it that he's changing modes by typing on a keypad on the arm with his other hand.

I had same thought - it looked like he was using some sort of control, and the thumb change was just orientation. That will could be a smart-phone app soon I guess.

From the video I took it that he's changing modes by typing on a keypad on the arm with his other hand.

Yeah, but once he's in a mode he controls it with his muscles. So if he wants to pick up a bottle and open it, he changes to grip mode by using his left hand to change mode then uses the muscles in his right arm to control the thing to actually open his hand, close it around the bottle, then can use his left hand to unscrew the lid, a task which would have been significantly trickier without the other hand. Or if he wants to zip up a jacket, put it in the pinch mode using left hand, then use muscles in right arm to actually pinch the jacket near the zip, then use his left hand to actually pull the zip up. Or riding a bike, put it in grip mode using left hand, then grip handle bar using muscles in right arm, ride away, then to ungrip the handle bar, just use the muscles in the right arm and no mode change is necessary.

It's definitely not ideal, since you have to change mode with one hand and then can control that mode with the muscles in your other arm, but it's still a big step up over nothing, assuming it's comfortable enough to wear, not too heavy and the power source doesn't run out over 5 seconds.

Yeah, but once he's in a mode he controls it with his muscles. So if he wants to pick up a bottle and open it, he changes to grip mode by using his left hand to change mode then uses the muscles in his right arm to control the thing to actually open his hand, close it around the bottle, then can use his left hand to unscrew the lid, a task which would have been significantly trickier without the other hand. Or if he wants to zip up a jacket, put it in the pinch mode using left hand, then use muscles in right arm to actually pinch the jacket near the zip, then use his left hand to actually pull the zip up. Or riding a bike, put it in grip mode using left hand, then grip handle bar using muscles in right arm, ride away, then to ungrip the handle bar, just use the muscles in the right arm and no mode change is necessary.

It's definitely not ideal, since you have to change mode with one hand and then can control that mode with the muscles in your other arm, but it's still a big step up over nothing, assuming it's comfortable enough to wear, not too heavy and the power source doesn't run out over 5 seconds.

not ideal? maybe you should go a day without one of your arms. im sure this is an amazing advancement for the people that need it. especially considering hes controlling it with his muscle. would it be better if they had a bionic arm that connected to his nerves? sure thing boss. not likely thats happening any time soon. this is an amazing device very impressive.

not ideal? maybe you should go a day without one of your arms. im sure this is an amazing advancement for the people that need it. especially considering hes controlling it with his muscle. would it be better if they had a bionic arm that connected to his nerves? sure thing boss. not likely thats happening any time soon. this is an amazing device very impressive.

Did you miss my entire post and only read that one section of that one sentence?

I'm thinking more Luke at the end of ESB. Carbon fiber for the mother fucking win.

I wonder what the weight is like, as well as the power system.

And the price tag. I wonder how much this cost.

I also wonder if there are any feedback from his touches (can't hear the video, so if he said so, I missed it). I would hate to type with those fingers without being able to feel the keyboard.

I also wonder if there are any feedback from his touches (can't hear the video, so if he said so, I missed it). I would hate to type with those fingers without being able to feel the keyboard.

Well that's one of the many downsides to those things. There are some models that do sense hot and cold and some feedback pressure but but I don't think they cover more than that in the realm of sensory perception. And I've never seen another design that's functional and that close to the human appendage. It's amazing how fast we are advancing in that field. We may very well see Star Wars like prosthetics in our lifetimes.

Been thinking about this one a day or so now, why not just build a whole robot with the shit and make something truly cool? We have to get prepared for the Matrix revolution somehow, that soon to be perfected AI won't have any decent bodies to inhabit otherwise.

Back