• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

terminal

fastfood15

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
223
I've never used terminal before, and i am just wondering what sort of things i can do with it. Can i launch apps? anything remotely fun?
 
uhm... it's a Unix shell.

so unless your a CLI monkey like me, it's not fun.

you can do your general unixy stuff in it...
 
You can launch apps and open documents from it. In fact, if it's possible to do without using the mouse, you can do it from the command line.

But I second KaosDG's opinion. Unless you're a CLI monkey, it's pretty useless.
 
You can definitely "do all kinds of cool shit" from the CLI, but you have to put the time in to learn it. I did for a bit on my Mac, but now that I'm running Ubuntu on my other laptop I'm having to learn more quickly.

It can come in very handy. I hate to use the standard "read the man pages" deal, but it does actually help.

Here's a good starting point: http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/#unixtut

But, IIRC, that hasn't been maintained for awhile and they don't use bash, which is the default shell for OS X. You'll have to dig around, but it'll give you a start if you decide you really want to learn the CLI. I haven't fallen in love with it, per se, but I've always preferred the keyboard to a mouse, especially since I have only trackpads to use now.

It definitely has its place for power users.
 
Back
Top