Terminal + ssh with windowing?

chomsky

Limp Gawd
Hey, I just got my new macbook pro and this is my first OSX experience so I have no idea what Im doing. I really like it so far, but I would like to connect to my school's solaris system via ssh and be able to open windows, similar to using xwin-32 for windows. Ive seen this done before, does anyone know how? I tried via ssh -X, no luck there.
~ thanks in advance

Thanks, I think it's on the right track but I wasn't able to use it. I don't know what exact computer I'd be connecting to, or what port # to use. Traditionally I would just type
'ssh [email protected]' so I'm not sure about any of the other info the -L seems to require. I have a feeling that there's adequate functionality built into the terminal for it, hopefully I don't need to try and get more information from my school about the network

chomsky said:
Thanks, I think it's on the right track but I wasn't able to use it. I don't know what exact computer I'd be connecting to, or what port # to use. Traditionally I would just type
'ssh [email protected]' so I'm not sure about any of the other info the -L seems to require. I have a feeling that there's adequate functionality built into the terminal for it, hopefully I don't need to try and get more information from my school about the network
I think that tutorial is specifically for remote desktop but with an SSH conneciton, but i think it shows that terminal has the capability built into it. So ya, open a terminal up and play around with it till u get it to work. If not im sure there are other FAQs about SSH'ing into school computers. I know there was one i found last semester, but i dont remember where i found it.

I believe so, I heard it was preinstalled. I also edited the ssh config file to set something like forwardX11 and some other one to 'yes', I'm not on that machine at the moment

chomsky said:
I believe so, I heard it was preinstalled. I also edited the ssh config file to set something like forwardX11 and some other one to 'yes', I'm not on that machine at the moment

chomsky-

Most macs dont come with x11 preinstalled. You can check for it by looking in Macintosh HD --> Applications --> Utilities. If there is the X11.app there, you have it, if not, you need to install it from the DVD that came with your machine (I think the option for it is if you run the "optional software" installer).

Once you have X11 installed, run X11. It will start up the X11 windowing system, and open a terminal for you. Next, connect to your server as follows:

ssh [email protected] -Y

Notice the -Y at the end. This is necessary to get all of your windowing working. Once you log in, you should be able to use xwindows (test it out with an "xterm" command- which should pop up a new xterm window from the ssh server you have connected to.

X11 was NOT installed on my MBP when i got it(refurb). i gather that is in fact not normally preinstalled for Tiger machines. the only installer that works for Tiger is on the Tiger disc.

Hah, it worked. I'm getting so tired of asking all these beginner mac questions. "Where's the terminal?" "What's with the .dmg files?" "You want me to put the dvd in the recyclable bin? What!?"
Thanks again

Back