Terminal Services

tshontikidis

Limp Gawd
So I am playing around on a server i just got and it is my first and i am learning many things and its been great, i am running win 2K3 server on a netfinity 5600. One thing i would like to do is take use of the Terminal Service, be able to run my server from my everyday computer so i can put the server in my back room. Now i have terminal service enabled on the server and i think set up correctly and now i need a client for computer? is that correct and if so it would be great if anyone knows of some good clients to use and where to get them.

Now i am not sure i did not set up the sevice correctly, i just htink i did, this is my first time so a basic run down would be greatly apreciated.

thank you

XP has a built-in client for Terminal Services- it's called "Remote Desktop," and I know that Pro and up has it, but I don't think Home Edition has it.

->Start Menu
->All Programs
->Accessories
->Communications
->Remote Desktop Connection

Edit: It's actually more than just a TS client, but it's based on MS's Win2K Terminal Server stuff and therefore compatible with it. Win2K3 is again more of the same.

ooo, that was easier than i thought.

thank you, and i had pro and it had it. Thank you again

Start -> Run -> mstsc will bring it up as well.
'conman' used to work on 2k clients, doesn't seem to work on XP/2003

ambit said:
Start -> Run -> mstsc will bring it up as well.
'conman' used to work on 2k clients, doesn't seem to work on XP/2003

so if i have a laptop with 2K than i run "CONMAN". humm i wounder that stands for, connection something or other maybe.

TS is awesome :)

Anyways, does anyone know how to get the new version of TS into WinXP pro? The version that supports file transfers through drag and drop? Or is it strictly integrated into Win2k3?

The file transfers and mapped drives are a win2k3 thing.

There was a way to get the drag and dop with some added files in win2k, but they were flaky at best.

In Remote Desktop, do the following:
(At log-in screen)->Options
->Local Resources
->Local Devices, Disk Drives
Now, your laptop's drives will show up as (I think) removable devices on your TS

mavalpha said:
In Remote Desktop, do the following:
(At log-in screen)->Options
->Local Resources
->Local Devices, Disk Drives
Now, your laptop's drives will show up as (I think) removable devices on your TS
Sweet, it works, thanks a lot for the tip :)

Just an FYI. The remote desktop client is available in XP home, but you cannot set up an XP home box as a TS server.

Its also available to download off Microsoft's site... I guess you can get it on most versions of Windows:)

Back