Terminal Service and Windows 2000 Server

Bluemagic

Weaksauce
We still have Win2k Server running on a lot of servers at work, and I need to grant terminal service access to users. The only way I've found to do this is to add them to the administrative group. I found this page http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278433 and near the bottom it says

"The pivotal difference between Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 is the "Allow logon through Terminal Services" user right. When you grant this user right, you no longer have to grant the user the Log on locally right (this was a requirement in Windows 2000). In Windows Server 2003, it is possible for a user to establish a Terminal Services session to a particular server, but not be able to log on to the console of that same server."

When I use that function I still get the message 'You do not have access to this session' when trying to remote in. Is there ANY way to do this without adding the users as a local admin?

well it sounds like you only have remote administration enabled and that only allows the administrators (up to two sessions and one console session) to log in to the computer at a time and they must be a part of the administrator group. I know it sounds like a dumb question but do you have Terminal Service installed? Remote Administration is enabled by default on Windows 2003 but i'm not sure on Windows 2000

Right, you need to install terminal services, set up a license server, and purchase TS cals for the users that will be logging into the server through TS.

deuce868 said:
Right, you need to install terminal services, set up a license server, and purchase TS cals for the users that will be logging into the server through TS.

In 2000 there is only 1 type of TS CAL. It's per device. You'll need one for each device the clients will be connecting from.

oakfan52 said:
In 2000 there is only 1 type of TS CAL. It's per device. You'll need one for each device the clients will be connecting from.

Yea, I forgot about that. One of the nice things I finally got rid of when I went to 2k3. Getting rid of Citrix was bonus #2.

deuce868 said:
Yea, I forgot about that. One of the nice things I finally got rid of when I went to 2k3. Getting rid of Citrix was bonus #2.

getting rid of Citrix for Windows TS is never a bonus.

Getting rid of citrix on top of TS to get audio and drive mapping is a bonus. We never used all the extra Cirtix stuff like published apps and such though.

oakfan52 said:

I thought the TS CALS were covered by the client's desktop os as long as it's 2K/XP ?
You would need to purchase TS CALS on a 2000 Server for any Win9x clients though.

You need to buy CALS for everybody on 2003, no freebies any more.

That's my understanding of the latest licensing scheme.

Spartacus said:
I thought the TS CALS were covered by the client's desktop os as long as it's 2K/XP ?
You would need to purchase TS CALS on a 2000 Server for any Win9x clients though.

You need to buy CALS for everybody on 2003, no freebies any more.

That's my understanding of the latest licensing scheme.

Yes, that is correct. You still need to evaluate what you need to purchase since not all OSs are covered.

Microsoft Extends Windows 2003 TS CAL Transition Plan until June 2007

You can obtain your "free" Windows 2003 TS CALs if you bought Windows XP Professional before April 24, 2003

Back