TERA Closed Beta

You can reserve a character starting tomorrow for preorders as well.

Didn't know if I really wanted to play a MMO again but I ended up buying, there is no going back now... :p

Open Beta is tomorrow; meaning anyone can come try out the game. The characters that you create won't get wiped so think of it as a PreHeadStart as there is a HeadStart also. :) The Open Beta password is TERABETA.

Here is the launch schedule.

This looks pretty neat, might end up leaving CSS for this haha I'll have to try it out first though. Is it F2P once you buy it?

This looks pretty neat, might end up leaving CSS for this haha I'll have to try it out first though. Is it F2P once you buy it?

There is an open beta starting on the 20th at 12pm PST. Use code - TERABETA

There are quite a few additions to the game since closed beta.

One thing I'm happy to see is that En Masse Entertainment has actual access to the Tera codebase so they can add/modify things beyond just bringing over what the Korean team already has made and tiny mods thereof. I had a good time in Closed beta though I didn't get very far, but I am looking forward to Open.

I'm a bit concerned at what will happen regarding the Warrior class (ie. so they aren't gimped most of the game. If they're dramatically worse/harder regarding tanking, plus not as much DPS as a Slayer/Berserker then what are they good for?) as that was my primary class of choice. In addition, the differences between the MDPS classes Slayer (ie. Big 2H sword, leather armor) and Berserker (Metal armor, 2H Axes) is reality is curious as well. In theory Berserkers should have more survivability and thus must have a downside compared to Slayers or else they would just be an overall better MDPS class. Personally, I'd have liked to see the Warrior be given Metal Armor for more survivability (plus the combo point system from the Korean versions etc...) to give them more survivability but still allow them to be an avoidance-style tank compared to a mitigation-style tank Lancer, who would remain the sole Lance+Shield carrier giving them yet more defense.

On top of that, I do think it a bit unfortunate that only guild leaders can be elected officials. Linking the election issue to guilds and much less guild leaders means that leaders of the largest guilds will win the elections, most likely. If they made the system "open" at least it would mean that at very least, despite the leaders of large guilds having a few steps forward, they would not be the only ones in the running so to speak.

For any who haven't seen, using the code "TERABETA" will give you access to the open beta starting this friday. However, if pre-ordered and were in the closed beta you automatically register for the Open and get to play on Thursday instead! So, anyone with the money/intent to pre order, head over to En Masse immediately and pre-order (note: the FULL value of the game is charged immediately, or at least was when I preordered awhile ago ) and you too will be given access to Open Beta tomorrow, Thursday (as well as the pre-order ingame benefits plus any benefits you get from the edition of your order).

On top of that, I do think it a bit unfortunate that only guild leaders can be elected officials. Linking the election issue to guilds and much less guild leaders means that leaders of the largest guilds will win the elections, most likely. If they made the system "open" at least it would mean that at very least, despite the leaders of large guilds having a few steps forward, they would not be the only ones in the running so to speak.

I'm still not sure what being elected would mean other than the brief statement about getting moneys and whatnot. Do you get to make decisions that will affect other players in some way? Or is it just "Ok you're in charge, here's your weekly kickback."?

Edit: I'll admit I've done no reading on this other than what's shown in the loading screens ;)

Nope, monthly sub.

Depending on the cost I might consider it, but damn that sucks I was looking forward to a F2P MMO. Wish something like ShadowBane would come about again in better graphics. I would pay to play a revamped ShadowBane.

Sub cost is -

$15/13/11/10 for 1/3/6/12 months.

or

$15/12/10/9 for 1/3/6/12 months if you sub before launch.

There is also a similar system to EVE where you can you can trade monthly subs ingame.

Game comes with 1 month.

Sub cost is -

$15/13/11/10 for 1/3/6/12 months.

or

$15/12/10/9 for 1/3/6/12 months if you sub before launch.

There is also a similar system to EVE where you can you can trade monthly subs ingame.

Game comes with 1 month.

Eh then no thanks looks like I'm going to have to pass on this game.

I'm still not sure what being elected would mean other than the brief statement about getting moneys and whatnot. Do you get to make decisions that will affect other players in some way? Or is it just "Ok you're in charge, here's your weekly kickback."?

Edit: I'll admit I've done no reading on this other than what's shown in the loading screens ;)

My understanding is that there are at least 2-3 "levels" of elected official status and they have different powers - I'm not sure what we're launching with exactly, but the blip on the website says "

Once there, though, vanarchs have the power to set and collect taxes on transactions, add (or remove) features and services in their provinces, and even enjoy a few personal perks. And it's not just the vanarch that benefits from the process—the vanarch's entire guild gains access to special quests and cool mounts. "

So your decisions do effect other people beyond just taxation and personal/guild benefits.

Back