tenkay desk

Discussion in 'Worklogs' started by jamsomito, Oct 10, 2015.

1. swimming pool

swimming pool Limp Gawd

Pompous woodworkers like to use the word chatoyance for what you are seeing.

The desk top turned out real nice.

2. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

Now that is a functional piece of art.

3. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

Thanks everyone :)

I'm checking my table saw fence today. It's not clamping on the far side. Once that's fixed I'll start the shelf. Once the shelf is done I'll take some good pics to wrap up phase 1 on this project. Stay tuned.

4. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

I checked out my table saw fence.
    [​IMG]

Turns out it's missing a nut or something to attach the latching mechanism to the clamp on the far side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone have any tips on how to fix this? If all else fails, I can just use a wood clamp to keep the far end of the fence in-place.

Annnd... I have a full day this Saturday to work on this, so another update coming soon.

5. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 Gawd

What brand of fence is that?

6. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

I'd have to check, but I thought it matched the saw - Delta.

7. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

Made a sketch of my 3rd monitor stand I'll be making out of the leftover plywood from the template. I don't want to mess with the maple, plus it'll be mostly covered by monitors and unseen, so I thought I'd just use the lower quality plywood and spray paint it black to match my other monitor stands.

[​IMG]

Also I'll be trying out some dadoes :). I'm thinking I'll buy a smaller, cheaper straight bit for the router (mine's 1" for the template cutting).

8. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 Gawd

That was my guess as well. Though I've never taken one of those apart, but it looks like a nut and washer to compress the spring, with the hole at the end providing access for a nut driver. That would allow you to adjust the tension. Good luck with the repair.

9. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

Had some issues getting this video off my camera, but it's finally available on youtube. There's a good look at the legs and the rest of my office, and I spell out some of my plans for cabinets too. If you want a trip back in time I think there's some cool stuff in here:

10. deadlift1

deadlift1 [H]ard|Gawd

What's the latest on the desk jamsomito?

11. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

Well, sitting at it right now. I've got my shelf roughed out in plywood, but I haven't gotten to piecing out the scraps. I started and found that it's going to be easier to make a bunch of short pieces and glue them "vertically", but that would make the whole front edge of the shelf end-grain. The problem with "horizontal" (length-wise) alignment is I'll have some butt joints with end grain to end grain, which isn't a strong joint. Still deciding how I want to do that. And, my table saw fence is loose which isn't good for cuts and presents a safety hazard, so I'm also trying to figure out the best way to actually make the pieces the right size for glue-up.

I know right where I'm at and what the next steps are, but other things are calling for attention around the house during the summer is all (such as some shelves for a guest room, a gate for our deck, busy season at work, etc). I'm thinking there'll be more updates in the fall. I want it done too. And I can't wait to get some cabinets in here to make my stuff clean looking again.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  12. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

I've been thinking about the room in general and I have some more ideas for the office. I already did the overhead lighting, made a video about that but never finished it to upload. I'd like to add faux brick on the wall adjacent to the display case, paint the room more of a gray color over the "adobe" that's in here now... it looks pinkish at times and I don't like it. And today, I added a bit to my display case :)

[​IMG]

Anyone have a gold OOT cart you're willing to part with? Mine was stolen about 10 years ago and I miss it more each year :(

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Derf likes this.
  13. deadlift1

deadlift1 [H]ard|Gawd

I figured you were busy but good to hear about the planned updates hopefully coming in the fall. It was really interesting watching the build process for the desk. Are you still planning to use electric height adjustable legs to make it a sit/stand desk?

That's a nice vintage console collection you've got there too. My youngest (9) loves playing Street Fighter II on the SNES.

14. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

Yes, still planning on the electric adjustable legs, but that'll be "phase 3" and probably a few years off yet. For one, they're pricey, and for two, I haven't vetted the quality of the pre-built ones. From a professional builder I spoke with, they all wobble a lot, especially when loaded, and I don't want that. So I'll either have to research for the best and probably spend even more, or figure out a design to do it myself. I need cabinets first though, and those will come after the shelf.

That's awesome about your kid. I remember when I was a kid looking at the intellivision and atari consoles of generations prior and not being impressed at all. I guess there really were good games in the NES/SNES era then and it's not just all nostalgia :)

15. deadlift1

deadlift1 [H]ard|Gawd

It's tough to beat the "square" knight from Adventure on Atari for pure graphics absurdity. I remember playing Xxaxon on my friends Colicovision which I always thought was cool. Nothing compared to the NES though and Super Mario when it came out. That was a true game changer for me.

16. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

Here's one of my side projects almost wrapped up. Our spare/guest bedroom doesn't have a closet, so I made these to go in there. I have some iron gas pipe to put in the big opening as a clothes hanger bar, and I'll stain it gray and clear coat. I still need to fill the nail holes and rough sand to smooth out some of the joints, then finish sand, stain, and clear coat.

[​IMG]

It's not perfect because I didn't have a reliable table saw, or a long enough straight-edge to make the long rip cuts from end to end, but I learned some techniques for next time.

I made this gigantic 7 ft router dado jig that more than made up it's cost in usefulness. This thing served its purpose and more. All the trim has dadoes and the plywood shelves are sunk into the sides with dadoes too.

[​IMG]

Did a bunch of learning again and got some ideas for my desk cabinets.

spugm1r3 likes this.
  17. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 Gawd

Yes, but where's the recessed lighting? :)

Love the jig. I really need to up my router chops, I've always done my dadoes on my table saw. They are functional, but that is about it.

18. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

Quick update. We're making a family trip to my folks place for new year's since we didn't get to see them for Christmas. I found enough room in the car for my maple scraps. My dad has a nice true table saw in his shop I can use for ripping them back down into boards so I can start on the shelf. Didn't trust mine.

Let's get this show back on the road. ::rockon::

19. silent-circuit

silent-circuit [H]ardForum Junkie

20. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

Did it!

Sorted out the scraps.
    [​IMG]

This is the biggest one.
    [​IMG]

Some pieces needed a straight line with the track saw prior to running through the table saw.
    [​IMG]

All cut up. I have 2 full length boards unused from the desk surface at home still, as well as some full length strips if needed.
    [​IMG]

Shelf in a box! Some assembly required.
    [​IMG]

I have my shape drawn out on the plywood template, I just need to cut it out and start puzzling these together. I'll use biscuits on end grain glue ups but joints staggered to keep some strength across.

21. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 Gawd

Either the pictures don't show enough, or that table saw makes some serious clean cuts. Giving me some serious jealously right now.

22. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

It's a way nicer saw than mine, but some of the edges got a little burned. Doesn't bother me since I'm just gluing on those edges anyway. I just needed them straight.