Tenga virus problem..

Dmitri

n00b
Have 2 machines networked, both connect via a router to the internet.

The one machine was badly hit by Tenga.gen virus a few weeks back. All exe's corrupted over the course of a night. Formatted it the next day, clean XP sp2 install. Also installed Nod32 on both machines with real-time virus protection running.

Once a week the cleanly formatted machine is infected with Tenga. Nod detects it after 1 or 2 exe's are corrupted. I have a firewall app installed and running (Netlimiter Pro). The machine is hardly used for anything except occasional internet browsing, and I'm running an Apache server on it for accessing files from work. Nod doesn't detect any running apps as being infected with Tenga. Is there anyway to prevent these attacks? I don't know much about viruses, why is it only this machine that is infected each time?

My temporary solution is to copy a couple of hundred dummy exe's into c: root. That way when the attacks occur, nothing important is corrupted (virus starts corrupting from c root each time).

>>The one machine was badly hit by Tenga.gen virus a few weeks back.

>>Once a week the cleanly formatted machine is infected with Tenga.

I'm not familiar with that particular bug, but I'd guess that whatever the original exposure mechanism was the first time, it's still there. Either that, or you did a fresh format but restored infected data.

Try disconnecting the network cable from that box for a week and see if it still gets infected. If it does, then maybe you never got rid of the bug. If the box runs clean, then you have a security hole.

Back