• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Temps too high?

tommy13

n00b
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
58
I just built a computer a couple of weeks ago, this week I decided I was going to try and overclock my CPU.

Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
e7200 2.53Ghz
Xigmatek S1283 w/ AS5

It's at 358 x 9.5 = 3.4Ghz right now. I'm currently running prime95 small FTTs and it's at 60-61c. Is this too hot? I believe Intel's recommended max is 70c, but still, seems a little too hot.

I set it to 1.2v in the BIOS but CPU-Z says 1.12 and REALTEMP says 1.16. Is the voltage supposed to drop like that?

Also, it's idling at 44c

I've tried googling a bunch of this but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, thanks so much!

-tommy13
 
The voltage drop is normal - it's a combination of the difference between what the BIOS is requesting and what the system is providing, and Vdroop which you see under load. You will almost always see lower reported Vcores than what you have set in the BIOS.

Those temps are a little hot, but nothing to be too worried about. I don't know about the 7xxx's specifically, but the 8xxxx's can get to those temps no problem. You are still far, far away from what the processor thinks is too hot (100C).
 
60-61C is not terrible under load, as long as it's able to keep it under 70C ish you should not worry twice about it.

You could actually try to decrease vcore some more and test stability at lower voltages, lower volts = less heat.
 
Back
Top