Temps too high on Hyper212+

ep3w

Gawd
Right now I'm running a Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz using 1.296V according to cpu-z. Using intel burn test I get max temps of about 79C. Playing BC2 it gets up to almost 70C. I'm using a CM Hyper212+ which I have reseated a couple times without any better results, but i'm starting to wonder if I'm using too much paste or something. My case has good airflow. Does this seem normal? I'd like to OC higher but the temps seems to be holding me back. Would something like an H50 be worth it?

i found the hyper 212+ to be sort of a pain in the a** to install

i did find the video tutorial newegg has for the hyper212+ to be helpful (have you watched that?) except of course the go to a fade in out instead of actually showing the applying of thermal paste :rolleyes:

i realize there are probably people that think it was the wrong way to apply it for this cooler / my processor but on my i-5 750 i used the pea size amount right smack dab in the middle of the heat spreader

my temps 3.3Ghz 1.3V 166x20 w/ turbo boost enabled idle 24~ C load 60~C (max prime95 65,60,60,63) ambient 22C

I tried that cooler and it sucked. I see good reviews about it but my experience was not the same. I guess you have to get the TIM applied just right.

I've seen a lot of good results from this cooler and thats what kinda made me expect more. I'm applying it pretty much exactly like this with the two thin lines. I tighten the screws all the way down then use that middle screw thing to get extra pressure. I did just watch the newegg videos and didn't see anything I was missing.

I don't get great temps with the 212+ and my set up is different then yours (2500k) but I put one small line of AS5 on each of the three aluminum parts in between the 4 copper pipes. Not saying that would help you but I thought I'd mention it.

Those temperatures are absolutely fine for a Q9450. You have nothing to worry about.

I ordered the cooler master 212+. Although I want the yate loon to use with this cooler, I realized that they don't PWM functionality. As an alternative, I could use the GELID FN-PX12-15 but they are out of stock @ newegg and amazon only sell them in bulks.

Are there any other quiet PWM 120mm fans I could possibly use?

i've tried putting two fans in mine and it didn't really make a difference. When I take it off it seems to have pretty good spread. I realize the temps are ok but I want to OC higher and can't really due to the high temps. Would lapping the heatsink help possibly?

I ordered the cooler master 212+. Although I want the yate loon to use with this cooler, I realized that they don't PWM functionality. As an alternative, I could use the GELID FN-PX12-15 but they are out of stock @ newegg and amazon only sell them in bulks.

Are there any other quiet PWM 120mm fans I could possibly use?

Yes.. lots.. the Nexus .. The Apache.. Arctic cooling PWM are quiet. Good thing about most PWM is they throttle way down when not under load. The Nexus is loud when full speed but that should only be when your working the machien really hard if you have it setup right. My setup is really quiet.

I like my 212+. Had it on an i5 750 @ 3.5Ghz and it kept it at 62C full load, and now I've got it on a 2500k @ 4.5Ghz and it's at 58C full load.

Great cooler for the money.

Definitely a great cooler for the money,i slapped on some cheap 2 dollar silent kingwin fans dual on my i5_750 3.8ghz @65C

Ironically, I was just winging by to read up on this exact topic. I am currently burning in my new build with a similar setup -- a 2500K with the hyper 212+ and a MSI P67A-G43.

I applied the thermal paste included with the coolermaster kit based on various reports and instructions I found on the net...I filled the channels between the heat pipes with the stuff and smoothed it out with a razor blade. I then applied three lines in the center three channels and installed the cooler. After I placed it, I realized I had forgotten to remove the fan like a dope, so I lifted it back off, popped the fan off and replaced it without changing the compound, which appeared to have spread pretty well just by placing it. Based on my past experience, it still seemed like an awful lot of compound to me.

Anyway -- so that whole ordeal made me a little extra paranoid about temps as I am planning on doing a bit of OCing. I grabbed prime95 and started to burn in. The weird thing I notice is the core temp sensors are running quite a bit cooler than the CPU temp. My room is pretty cool today, probably around 70F.

These look abnormal? I will be looking to OC. I took these screenshots after running prime95 for about 15 minutes.

[/URL]

The core temperatures are the only ones you need to pay attention to. All your temps look quite good to me.

I like my 212+. Had it on an i5 750 @ 3.5Ghz and it kept it at 62C full load, and now I've got it on a 2500k @ 4.5Ghz and it's at 58C full load.

Great cooler for the money.

How are you applying your paste?

Back