• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Temps soar for no reason

leiff

n00b
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
31
MB is asus P5Q-em with E8400 cpu. This has happened a few times now. For no apparent reason while webbrowsing my chasis fanspeed will kick up so I run temperature monitoring software and see cpu reads 110c. I quickly restart computer and see in bios 50c cpu. It should only have been around 25c for webbrowsing. Before turning my computer off I forgot to check cpu usage but I don't think it was high. I've run prime 95 in the past for prolonged periods in the past and cpu would not get hotter than this. Last time this happened I did not hear the extra fan speed right away and the temps rose unchecked. This caused my powersupply to give out because the cpu heatsink is placed flush against PSU. When I opened case; PSU and cpu heatsink were much hotter than I could ever get them when running prime 95. I believe this extraordinary heat all ocured while cpu drain was at a minimum. There has been no overclocking done on this system. Has anyone heard of this before? Do I contact intell for replacement? I don't want to risk frying anything else. So far it's cost me an expensive PSU. Can someone recommend me a autostart utility that will sound audio alarm if cpu temps go crazy again.
 
Personally, I would check my thermal paste installation. As for software, ASUS does have a PC Probe utility that can alert you of high temps.
 
ASUS should have a option in the BIOS that will shut down the computer when the temperature gets up to the temperature you set in the BIOS. For the sudden temperature increase I also think you should redo the thermal paste and check the mounting bracket to make sure the heatsink is still making good contact with the CPU.
 
you should have an option in your bios for cpu shut down if temps get to high
 
Sounds more like a flakey temp sensor. If the mount was bad you'd have high temps all the time. Still couldn't hurt to check though. LOL

You'd think at 110c it would start to damage the chip. That's freakin hot.
 
If it's hot enough to have already dmaged your near-by PSU, then I'd say tour chip is going bonkers. Call Intel and see if they won't replace your chip.
 
Back
Top