• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Temps Per Core - Q6600 GO

liquidfluidity

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
2,938
I just installed my q6600 last week and started overclocking this week. I installed Coretemp and noticed a diff. in the temps of each core. All That I have read states that this is pretty common and I'm not really worried about it. My temps are:

0 - 32
1 - 25
2 - 28
3 - 25

With the closeness of the 3 cores , I am wondering if it may be an installation issue with the Enzotech. Both cooler and cpu are pretty flat. I'm just wondering if I try and reinstall(real PITA!:mad:) the cooler , if I might get core 0 down a little.:confused: Used AS5 and their application method. Maybe I just tightened one screw too much before the next? :rolleyes:

Also , I would like to know how the designation of Coretemp relates to the cores - are 0 and 1 on the same die?

Thanks and any insight is highly appreciated!
 
except yours is running way cooler than mine, but my core 1 is always signicantly warmer than the others
 
I have seen a lot of GO's with about the same differences between the highest and lowest cores. I'm just wondering if there's a relation with my cores and heatsink mounting especially with how close the other 3 cores are.
 
Just did some more reading and I see that there is a consensus that one core does most of the work since a lot of apps are ran single thread. Is this correct and could this contribute to the temp diffs?
 
Just did some more reading and I see that there is a consensus that one core does most of the work since a lot of apps are ran single thread. Is this correct and could this contribute to the temp diffs?
u read exactly what i was thinking that makes sense. u could try it by seeing if u could change all the process affinities to core 3 and see if ur hot temp shift to core 3
 
I would assume that 0 and 1 are on different dice. Judging by the temps, I would assume that core 0 and 2 are on the same die and 1 an 3 are on the other. This makes sense, since if the OS hands out most tasks to 0, then 1, then 2, and 3, by having 0 and 1 on different cores, the cache usage is more efficient because only 1 core is active in each die.
 
and after i did this the temps are almost all the same. actually i now have much less variation, my crappy intel hsf, here are the temps for cores 0-3 47 44 45 47. And now im testing this further, i opened up an intensive video encoding on nero and im switching the video to each core, whatever core is doing the work becomes the hottest core
 
On my Q6600, 2 temps run almost 10 degrees warmer than the other 2. doesn't matter if it si idle or fully loaded.

That is just the way it is.

Don
 
Considering that, when either entirely idle or entirely stressed, my 0 and 1 are usually within 1C of each other and 2 and 3 are within 1C of each other, I was pretty sure that 0 and 1 are one die and 2 and 3 are the other (about 6C cooler than 0+1).

The temperatures look pretty good to me, and core 0 is probably in use more than the others; my TRUE 120 only got my Q6600 G0 to the low 30s idle at stock clocks, albeit going for pretty low-speed fans.
 
It's been my consensus , from here and general reading , that my temps are pretty good so I'll just let sleeping dogs lay:D thanks for the replies and insight.:p
 
Back
Top