temps on my q6600 - what program is correct?

devkinetic

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
69
So I'm getting some base readings before I really try to overclock and noticed that I am getting different readings, almost by 10c in different programs. See the picture linked to see what I mean.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7317/tempsfv3.th.gif

Personally I hope it's speedfan's :D

Relevant specs:
- q6600 g0
- Tuniq tower air cooling
- msi p7n diamond
(see desktop in sig for all)
 
CoreTemp is correct. Unless you adjusted Speedfan to increase those temps by 15c they'll always be off by 15c. Conroe's have a tjunction max of 85c, Kentsfield's is 100c. Speedfan doesn't know that.
 
The most accurate program out there is Real Temp.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179044

Wrong. CoreTemp reports a tjmax of 100c, while realtemp says 95c. Now, with that in mind, if you compare the "actual" cpu temps of both running at the same time, you will see that RT shows a 5c lower temp, which is a no brainer because the delta between the two programs is 5c as reported by the tjmax interpretation. Now, turn Coretemp (under options/settings) to show the "delta to remaining tjynction max" and the two readings (distance to tjmax in RT) match EXACTLY.

So you can see that both programs are reporting the EXACT same temps...the only difference being they are 5c difference in the reported tjunction max temp. Who is right? Only Intel knows...


And stop spreading FUD....


14biatl.jpg

(both showing delta remainng to tjmax)

vhrp1t.jpg

(both showing actual reported temps)
 
I see now, thanks for the help! much appreciated :)

I'll stick with coretemp and go from there. 3ghz here I come!
 
real temp gives me numbers i know are not true. seems like core temp is the closest
 
Wrong. CoreTemp reports a tjmax of 100c, while realtemp says 95c. Now, with that in mind, if you compare the "actual" cpu temps of both running at the same time, you will see that RT shows a 5c lower temp, which is a no brainer because the delta between the two programs is 5c as reported by the tjmax interpretation. Now, turn Coretemp (under options/settings) to show the "delta to remaining tjynction max" and the two readings (distance to tjmax in RT) match EXACTLY.

So you can see that both programs are reporting the EXACT same temps...the only difference being they are 5c difference in the reported tjunction max temp. Who is right? Only Intel knows...


And stop spreading FUD....


(both showing delta remainng to tjmax)


(both showing actual reported temps)


All you basically said was that Core Temp and Real Temp post correctly report distance to Tj Max. Thank you for stating the obvious...lots of programs are able to do that.

The only real question is - what does Tj Max equal in Celsius?

The Q6600 Tj MAX is assumed (you know what they say about assume?) to be 100C by Core Temp. This is wrong. Therefore, temps reported by Core Temp are not correct.

Read the link I posted before posting the obvious. The author of Real Temp took great pains to be make it as accurate as possible.

I trust Real Temp over Core Temp on any given day of the week.

To quote the author...

By doing some testing with a Fluke IR Thermometer I have discovered a significant problem with the DTS data that programmers are basing their core temperature results on. The DTS does not output temperature data that is linear to the actual core temperature across the entire operating range of the processor. Intel individually calibrates each one to reliably trigger thermal throttling at TjMax. That's great but I've found that when the DTS moves more than 35 degrees away from TjMax, the DTS data no longer changes at the exact same rate that the core temperature is changing at.

realtemptheorysh8.png


BTW, I don't spread FUD, I replied with my opinion. Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean you can be a c*ck to them. Grow up.
 
onegoodsoul, why is one more correct than the other? What makes the author of RT better? Since Intel will not divulge the actual parameters, both RT and CT are working on ASSUMPTIONS when trying to gauge actual temps, and you know what that does....

The FACT is, that Intel themselves says that using the delta to tjmax is the BEST way, and trying to gauge actual temps is mostly inaccurate since that involves interpretation of a DTS sensor that was never intended as so. The slope that the DTS gives out is not linear and therefore cannot be properly translated at this point because Intel will not give us the info required. This is also why so many mobo software apps give really shitty temp reporting.

Stop being so obtuse and use the sensors they way they are intended.
 
onegoodsoul, why is one more correct than the other?

Give it a read...30 pages of threads so far.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179044

What makes the author of RT better?

Dunno. I never said he was better than anything/anyone, but the his little application is quite impressive. I trust it more than Core Temp that's for sure.

Stop being so obtuse and use the sensors they way they are intended.

Get a new one...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=thesaurus
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top