temps for 2.8e with volcano 7+

gotskill10

n00b
Joined
Sep 12, 2002
Messages
59
Why am I getting 49C/28C running a 2.8e? I have a volcano 7+ with artic silver on an msi i865 board. True this setting is on low but even the stock intel fan ran the same. And I dont want to put it up unless Im playing games.
 
Prescotts run hot, and a v7+ is well a crappy hsf, so you'll have to expect temps around that area. It's just how it is, now sure why.
 
i thought that the volcano 7+ was one of the best? Does anyone have my system setup and are getting great temps. Please let me know what hsf you guys use. Hopefully its not too expensive.
 
You need a good cooling heatsink like a Zalman 7000 or Thermalright SP-94.
 
I have a Volcano 7+ on my 3.2C@3.84 with 1.65Vcore. Never sees over 44C Full Load. So I dont see how it is a crappy HSF.:rolleyes: ;) :)
 
hey, maybe my mobo bios is the prob. I have a 865PE Neo2-PFS , has anyone experienced wrong readings?
 
Originally posted by merlin704
I have a Volcano 7+ on my 3.2C@3.84 with 1.65Vcore. Never sees over 44C Full Load. So I dont see how it is a crappy HSF.:rolleyes: ;) :)

Merlin have you forgotten i used to be a retailer for thermaltake? It only works well in a high airflow case. I've owned 4 v7+ just becuase I got a hell of a deal on them. Personally I wouldn't own another. I love my sp-94, 1.8V Vcore with 44C load on an abit probe "meaning it's readin 7-9degrees higher"
 
Originally posted by eViL_M@LuM
Merlin have you forgotten i used to be a retailer for thermaltake? It only works well in a high airflow case. I've owned 4 v7+ just becuase I got a hell of a deal on them. Personally I wouldn't own another. I love my sp-94, 1.8V Vcore with 44C load on an abit probe "meaning it's readin 7-9degrees higher"


Yeah I guess having 4x80mm Delta 80CFM fans in my case helps.:D
 
holy shit balls d00d....your running a volcano 7+ on a 2.8E?!?!?!

i had it on my 2.4@3.3 and i was seeing over 60C.
 
Originally posted by merlin704
Yeah I guess having 4x80mm Delta 80CFM fans in my case helps.:D


WHAT!!!! I CANT HERE YOU OVER YOUR PC...... WHAT WAS THAT....... IMAGINE IF YOU HAD A SP-94 IN THERE YOU'D HAVE MID TO LOW 30'S.......
 
Originally posted by Chicken Penni Pasta
Are the newer volcanoes better?
For standard cooling the Volcano series is a descent heatsink. From Overclocking cooling I wouldn't really suggest you use them, I'd use a thermalright SP-94 on intel and SP-97 on Amd.
 
if your going to get an air cooler, get either a zalman 7000 or a thermalright sp94
 
Originally posted by eViL_M@LuM
WHAT!!!! I CANT HERE YOU OVER YOUR PC...... WHAT WAS THAT....... IMAGINE IF YOU HAD A SP-94 IN THERE YOU'D HAVE MID TO LOW 30'S.......

You know the noise isn't that bad. I can block it out. So to me it sounds like I have a quiet PC and I don't have to turn my speakers up loud to compensate for the noise.:)
 
flame me all you want but im loving my koolance and sub 40C load temps :)
 
Originally posted by acascianelli
flame me all you want but im loving my koolance and sub 40C load temps :)

Who flamed you? My sp94 gives me 44C Load temps, on an abit probe which means it's more like 38-39C.
 
nobody has, but it seems like whenever somebody opens their mouth about how they like koolance they get flamed about how koolance is shit.
 
Originally posted by eViL_M@LuM
Who flamed you? My sp94 gives me 44C Load temps, on an abit probe which means it's more like 38-39C.

ya man, my freakin Volc 9 is driving me nuts, which is why yer ordering me a Sp-97 :)
 
SP-94_02.JPG


You need one of those :D
 
so would you guys say to stay with my stock intel fan and heat sink or leave my louder volcano 7+ on there. I mean I dont see much of a difference but maybe i need to upgrade my bios on msi i865 neo2 lsr board.
 
With the new SP-94 installed my load temps never break 33C, compared to stock intel's 41C load
 
Originally posted by gotskill10
so would you guys say to stay with my stock intel fan and heat sink or leave my louder volcano 7+ on there. I mean I dont see much of a difference but maybe i need to upgrade my bios on msi i865 neo2 lsr board.

I believe what we are saying, go buy an SP-94 :)
 
I installed this one yesterday and i have your same board and same 2.8E in the bios i saw a 3 to 4 degrees drop in tem.. but in windows the core programs says the same as with the stock fan. the great news is that the zalman is quiet really quiet youll love it I love it!!!!! and to tell you the truth even if you get a better fun that the zalman and i don't think there is the prescot runs hot.. even people that have watter cooling get 44c with is like what 4c cooler that air..... i have yet to see someone with vapor chill..

i even overclocked to 3.2 and the temps where the same.

Ill say dont worry about it and we will compare in the future when people get more prescotts
 
hey magbmw, thanks for that response. You didnt upgrade your bios or anything. Im showing 49C through corecenter. and like 45 in the bios. Im taking this is pretty normal, but the weird thing is, it doesnt chagne much whern my volcano 7+ is on high.

I know you guys are saying to go get the sp whatever, but i dont need nor can afford it right now, i was wondering if i should keep the stock intel hsf on it or keep the volcano 7+. the volcano is louder even on low which is why im wondering? magbmw, do you have any suggestions?
 
Originally posted by magbmw
I installed this one yesterday and i have your same board and same 2.8E in the bios i saw a 3 to 4 degrees drop in tem.. but in windows the core programs says the same as with the stock fan. the great news is that the zalman is quiet really quiet youll love it I love it!!!!! and to tell you the truth even if you get a better fun that the zalman and i don't think there is the prescot runs hot.. even people that have watter cooling get 44c with is like what 4c cooler that air..... i have yet to see someone with vapor chill..

i even overclocked to 3.2 and the temps where the same.

Ill say dont worry about it and we will compare in the future when people get more prescotts

:rolleyes: Prescots do run hotter then northwoods. It's been a proven fact since they came out, they use more wattage there by producing more heat.
 
yeah, i realize that prescott is hotter, but they dont seem to vary too much in temp. So should i keep my stock intel hsf, which is quieter and gives me about the same temp as volcano 7+, or should i keep the volcano 7+ on it?
 
i had to make this decision with my system, i kept the volcano 7+ on it and ran it at default speed and the slowest fan setting. but i found that removing the volcano was a pain in the ass.
 
Back
Top