temps appear to be way off?

malice29r

n00b
Hey,

Just put together a new system..basic specs are:

E6600
eVGA 680i
eVGA 8800GTS

First thing I did when I did it's first power up was goto the BIOS and make sure everything was showing up (which it was), then checked the system monitor... CPU was showing at 15C, chipset was showing as 61C. The chipset appears to be correct, if I feel the heatsink it's pretty hot (opted to not use the extra fan)..but as for the CPU is it even possible for it to idle at 15C at stock speeds, on air cooling?

Now that I have everything set up, XP updated, etc... i'm using nTune to check the stuff out again, and it's still pretty low, even here... CPU is 27C under a mix of load/idle, "system" is 25C.. and the 8800GTS is coming in at 46C (basically idling in windows)

I guess one other thing to note is that i'm using a Zalman 9700 cooler on the cpu, and an Antec nine hundred case, with all fans on low (this thing moves an incredible amount of air, and *quiet*..will never go back to 80mm fans)

Anyways what do you think I should do? Am working on BIOS update asap as i noticed there's a new one out..but other than that any recommendations on other temp monitoring software or anything?

Well, I updated the BIOS....and tried core temp as suggested and it's still pretty much the same as before..

Core 0 managed to hit 31C, Core 1 is below 30 after running WoW for an hour..

Guess I won't worry about it much for now... the CPU heatsink isn't even remotely warm, so even if the reports are way off it's not like it's seriously overheating or something.

No worries, as long as you are stable and heatsink/heatpipes are fine to touch :) This is of course if you are sure that contact is good

Back