Temporary sharing my cable internet connection

87IROC Z

Limp Gawd
My 13 year old cousin is coming over so i can help him build his first pc on saturday. If i unhook my cable connection and hook it up to his new computer so we can download updates and such, will he be ok when he hooks it up back at home on his cable connection? Probably a stupid question, but i just want to make sure. :eek:

You should be fine. Just reboot the cable modem when you go from one computer to another.

Not always. The most you will have to do is call your isp and get them to add the mac address for the nic card to the network and then assign the mac address to your modem. If you do have to resort to that make sure to tell the tech not to un-assign your old mac address from your modem, or you will end up calling back.

Originally posted by mappy
Not always. The most you will have to do is call your isp and get them to add the mac address for the nic card to the network and then assign the mac address to your modem. If you do have to resort to that make sure to tell the tech not to un-assign your old mac address from your modem, or you will end up calling back.

uh... if he has a normal cable service like road runner or something, he'll just be able to plugin to the modem and go.

Originally posted by mappy

I thought you only have to register the MAC address of the modem.

Originally posted by joormotha
I thought you only have to register the MAC address of the modem.
attbi used to make me register the modem and the nic cards
I read like 15 MAC addresses to the guy this one time i called.
that was a long day full of phone-trees

Originally posted by plot
uh... if he has a normal cable service like road runner or something, he'll just be able to plugin to the modem and go.

Like I said it depends on the service provider. Some have different restriction/security levels than others. What I gave was a worst case senario. I know for a fact that some still require it as I work for a Cable Internet Provider that does. :D

Well i have adelphia cable internet here. All they ever needed from me in the past was my modem mac address when i had problems. So hopefully i can just hook up for a couple hours to his and be done with it. Or would i be safer in hooking up my router and running him off of that? I just dont have it hooked up anymore since i dont have a second pc.

Well, it would all depend on how the network and the ip settings on the computer are setup. If he has a hardwired ip address, it will not work without setting it your network configuration. If you had a router up and running in the past, I would just slap that back on the network and assign him a private ip address and be done with it. Just remember to write down any settings you change so you can set themn back right when he heads back home.

Don

Wups, time to update the sig again!;)

Well i just tried hooking back up my router. It didnt go to well. I got connected to the router and thats it. I couldnt establish an internet connection. Im not suprised though, im network retarded. :eek: Ill just try hooking him up to my connection first.

Id say if you have the router hook it up just for the posibility of other comuters hooking up to it, and the fire wall... shut down your pc, unplug the modem, and the router, and turn off your pc, go get a drink... plug in your modem, hold of a couple of seconds, then plug in the router (plug the cable in, then the power to the router) then run calbe to your pc, and chill a min, and power it up life should be all good

(what router are you using?)

Just setup another account, with your account info, on his machine, set that new account to default, plug the modem into his nic, and you're good to go. When you're done, delete that new account and set his old to default.

There's no reason to register the nic or modem's mac, and no reason to reboot the modem.

Back