Temperatures Sensors Royally Screwed

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
I just got my new q6600 and p5q pro and installed my new freezer 7 and overclocked to 3Ghz with 1.25v.

At first the temperature readings were way too high and I thought something was fishy. It would idle at 50C and jump to 80C in HWmonitor under load yet the heatsink was only warm to the touch.

Well now it's completely wrong. Sometime HW monitor and core temp show -10 for one core, 120 for another concurrently. Sometimes cores simply won't even show up.

It might just be that I'm running x64, but I think it might have to do with the way the motherboard reads the cpu temps. I've read about problems with the P5Q, but nothing like this.

What do you think? Am I ok with the voltage and speed I'm running to just forget the temp readings?

Did you update your bios? I had same problem at first. I am still skeptical about any accuracy with this board but.

More weirdness.. it now magically shows me at 68C under load and 40C idle.. I don't trust this board.

I trust the board, but I don't trust the temp readings. Keep in mind the temp readings (depending on what you are using) are reported by your CPU not by your board.

Give RealTemp a try. I've heard of other users having problems but for whatever reason, RealTemp was able to read the on chip sensors correctly while other programs couldn't.

RealTemp also includes a new CPU Cool Down Test which will help you understand what your sensors are up to. Post some results.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

newcooldowntestvz2.png

I know all about motherboards with flaky sensors.
SpeedFan is currently reporting my idle CPU at 85C! :eek:

flakybm9.png

I hate to sound like a noob, I know parts but not all of this answer.

How does the motherboard relate to the Temp, as the Sensors are built into the CPU?

I hate to sound like a noob, I know parts but not all of this answer.

How does the motherboard relate to the Temp, as the Sensors are built into the CPU?

Because some temperature monitoring programs read sensors built into the motherboard instead of the ones built into the CPU.

Some do, but I thought Coretemp/realtemp/Everest all used the CPU sensors?

Core Temp and Real Temp both read from the motherboard sensors. I don't know about Everest.

Core Temp and RealTemp both read core temperatures directly from the Core processor. You need a driver to do this in an OS friendly way so the only difference between the two would be if the driver used for Ring0 access had a bug. I haven't heard of any x64 issues with RealTemp which uses the open source WinRing0 driver.

Back