Temperature or Voltage

Axon77

n00b
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
41
Hey guys,

I hope that someone can answer my question. I have a A64 3500+ Vinnie @ 2553 at a voltage of about 1.52. I'm moving to watercooling in the coming days, but I was wondering is if the temperature that I should worry about solely, or does the voltage matter as long as I keep my temps down.

In other words, is it safe to use a voltage of 1.6 or greater as long as my temps remain well under 50 degrees Celcius.

Does 1.6 Vcore damage the CPU even if the temps remain low?

Thanks in advance,

Axon77
 
Nope, temperatures affect the CPU, not voltage. High temps are a result of voltage, but if you can keep the temps reasonable, then go add more voltage.
 
Voltage DOES effect the cpu, its called electromigration and when you go above a certain point (always varies between cpu's) it drastically shortens the lifespan of the cpu. Temperature also accelerates this process, so its also just as important. With A64/Opterons its usually widely accepted that anything above 1.5v on air cooling is going into the danger zone, and roughly 1.65v and higher for water.
 
wee96 said:
With A64/Opterons its usually widely accepted that anything above 1.5v on air cooling is going into the danger zone, and roughly 1.65v and higher for water.

Interesting to see that the cooling method that provides lower overall temperatures has a higher acceptable vcore...
 
zenzog said:
Interesting to see that the cooling method that provides lower overall temperatures has a higher acceptable vcore...

Yeap, as they go hand in hand, less temp more voltage, vs higher temp less voltage, same migration result.
 
"drastically" shorten the lifespan of the cpu? Does this mean from 10 years to 8 years? I guess my concern is, should I worry about voltage if my temps are ok?

Thanks for the answers thus far!
 
Back
Top