Temperature/Humidity Control in your Home DC?

MadHatter

Limp Gawd
I'll be moving to a new place soon and I'm trying to work out where I want to place my cabinets so that I can maintain proper temperature/humidity to them. Those with home DCs - what do you do (if anything) to maintain a good environment for your equipment?

When I lived with my parents, in the garage. Heat cold humidity never seemed to bother them. *shrugs* perhaps my equipment is just tough.

In my apartment I just shoved it all in a closet. Still works fine. All I've ever really done for the boxes is run the fans at max and switch out the filters every month.

My stuff is currently in the open basement, so they are maintained at around 10 degrees. I've even seen hard drive readings below 10 (when first turned on). In summer it gets very humid but I have a dehumidifier that is on most of the time. In winter it's actually very dry, to the point where I'm running a humidifier for the whole house. Overall I don't really do much. I might have a fan to circulate the air in summer and that's about it.

When I close up the server room I'll probably setup some kind of water cooling system. Basically an AC, but instead of gas in the condenser coil, it will be water going through a radiator and air blower over it. Just having the piping go throughout the crawlspace should cool the water enough I'd think. if it does not cut it, I'll just have it go outside, possibly add some valves that I can turn on/off depending on season.

I don't believe in running AC when it's -30C out. It sounds crazy, but you walk into any office server room and that's what they do!

I have a single rack with a dell desktop and a dell poweredge 2650 in it. (I just bought 10 more PE's for $125 hehehehe) They are in a small room in my basement that is approx 15' x 9'. The temp gets a little warm in the summer but keeping the door open helps. In all the temp remains quite constant throughout the year.

I keep my servers in a small storage closet under the steps... with the hot water heater. I was worried but everything seems to continue to work well.

I keep my servers in a small storage closet under the steps... with the hot water heater. I was worried but everything seems to continue to work well.

Ensure the servers are shielded from any potential pipe burst. Just in case. :D

One thing I'd love to setup at some point is a "scram" system. If water is detected on the floor, it shuts down all systems, then cuts power.

Back