• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Temp Problems

Hexus0

Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
590
Hey everyone, well ever since I installed my XP-90 I've been having a lot of temp problems. The temperatures I'm getting are seriously jokes, 45C idle temps are just ridiculous. Everyone claims to get 30-35C but this 45C is just horrible. I waited a couple of days after I installed hoping that maybe if I work it a little, it will burn in and cool down, that wasn't the case, so I decided to reseat the XP-90. Took off the heatsink, cleaned the thermal compound, re-applied AS5, reseated, and still horrible temps.

Basically this is how it goes,
CPU
Stock Idle: 38C
Stock Load: 58-60C
XP-90 Idle: 45C
XP-90 Load: 58-60C

My loads didn't increase/decrease, but my idle did, WTF is going on here? My system temps were 25C in BIOS. Its fairly cold in this room, I have the AC and the fan on, I'm actually cold sitting here myself.

EDIT: Pictures of the heatsink
xp90.JPG

xp902.JPG

xp903.JPG
 
what bios are you running, some bios's on msi S754 neo plat. had temp reporting problems... especially their latest one... try an update(or older version if you just updated)
 
I just updated my BIOS, I'm not on S754, I'm on S939....

Just to answer an obvious questions, I have the 2X80MM fans in the front of my case, the 1X80MM fan on the back, and a 120MM blowhole at the top of my case. The fan on my XP-90 is a Panaflo 42CFM@27DBA. The fan at the top is a 120MM Antec TriCool. Wire management isnt a proble, as theres no wires in the front of my case, I routed all of them through the back.

I really don't get whats going on, my GPU is insanely hot, 59C idle when I use to get 54 on stock! I don't get any of this, I spent ~$120 on all these parts (Sleeved cables, AS5, XP-90 + Fan, Zalman) and its all just for looks?

I tried to reseat the XP-90 thinking that it wasn't making contact with the core, which I was wrong, because its sitting perfectly, theres no other way to seat it...
 
Ok dumb question, maybe. Is the panaflo increasing rpm's as temp is rising on your chip
are bios settings for chip fan set properly?
 
What BIOS settings? The fan shows to be at full speed (2200RPM)...

About the AS5, I installed it exactly how it says to in the instruction, my processor with the AS5 on it, look identical to the one in the picture on the website..
 
Hexus0 said:
I just updated my BIOS, I'm not on S754, I'm on S939....
what bios did you update to

i know that the neo2 plat. is S939, but it is still a NF3 chipset which uses the same bios updates as the S754 neo plat. ... i updated to the 1.9 bios and my temps increased by 10C... i went back to the 1.8 bios and temps went back down.... someone even said that when they updated to the 1.9 bios it fried theri onboard nic... i would stay away from the 1.9 bios

also how do you have the fan moving air over the HS, if you have the fan "suck" instead of "blowing" the air it will usually yield higher temps
 
The fan is blowing air onto the HSF, I just updated the BIOS, I don't know what version it is, but I'm still receiving the same temps...
 
I had the same problem with high CPU temperatures on this very 'board and heatsink combo. While I couldn't isolate the cause of the high temperatures, there were several possibilities:

1. Case airflow is the most important ingredient to making the XP-90 work well. I replaced an Enermax case I was using with an Antec P180. I'm talking about going from one 80mm in/ two 80's out, up to three 120mm's in the P180. This brought temperatures down to levels that could only be attained with the side cover off of the Enermax.

2. The base of my XP-90 wasn't terribly flat. Wet lapping cured that problem, and also removed the nickel plating covering the heatsink, exposing the beautiful copper below. :) The base on mine was concave, so I went in steps to get to a good finish. I believe the order was 200-, 400-, 800-, 2000-grit, all with fresh water flowing across the glass plate, and a "random" orbital pattern executed by hand. :rolleyes: Hey, it worked for me. :D

3. Proper heatsink compound, both amount and type, are necessary. I used Artic Silver 3, and then AS-5 after lapping (which is part of the reason I can't narrow it down as to what action caused my temps to drop). Too much, and it doesn't "ride" on the heat spreader correctly. Too little, and it should be evident what happens.

4. If you use MSI's CoreCell, be sure you take what it indicates with a grain of salt. Right now it claims my 'board temperature is 25°C, and the processor is at 30°C. Both are a little high, around 4-5°C off, last time I checked. Even so, I don't see more than ~43°C CPU temperature at maximum CPU stress (according to CoreCell at least), with the room temperature around 20°C. I use the Cool n' Quiet feature of the 'board and CPU, but to that end they're only helping by about 3 or 4 degrees. I just like the noise to be minimized. :p

If I didn't mention it, I'm using a 3500+ Newcastle CPU on an MSI K8N Neo2 w/ BIOS ver. 1.8 official. 1.9 was merely an update for X2 CPU's IIRC, and MSI engineers have the bad habit of breaking things every time they write a BIOS update, so I'm sticking with 1.8 for a while. pstang, it appears, had similar experience with 1.9.

Be sure you're using the latest version of CoreCell, v2.0.0.5. This will also affect reported temperatures significantly, if your version is outdated (again, an MSI thing about breaking stuff that works).

Do this for us: record the ambient temperature, run SuperPI, Prime95, something to maximize CPU usage, for about 30 minutes. Mind the sustained temperature of the CPU, GPU, and 'board. Shut down all the programs you can, take the side cover off the case, and then point a slow-blowing box fan at the tower (just enough so that fresh air is entering the case at a decent volume. Run the stress tests again, and see where you peak on temperatures. This will tell you rather quickly whether your case sucks or not. Good luck.
 
something also to think about. With the computer on, run something heat intensive, and touch the heatsink. If it is med warm to very warm, then its making good contact, but if it is slightly warm, to luke warm, then that means proper contact isnt being made. Lapping might be needed.

On top of that, if you dont like using corecell, like me :p I use MSI pcAlert4
 
heat problems are definitely due to the heatsink being fitted improperly and in some cases, i have even experienced a faulty heatsink (zalman 7000b-cu) which just wasnt level due to a manufacturing defect. have you tried to return or rma your xp90 for a different one just for testings sake?
 
I checked to see if there was some sticker at the bottom of my XP-90, hoping that maybe that was my problem, nope, not at all. I put on my old side panel with an 120MM fan intake, and my temps only droped 1-2C so I don't think its air flow. In my live update it says that my BIOS is V1.B0 and that the latest version online is 1.B0. I felt the heatsink and its really hot, so its making contact with the core, but if it is, then why am I still getting such horrible tempatures?
 
Is it possible that the balance of your fans is off? You might want to screw around with which fans are taking air in (intake), and which ones are pushing air out (exhaust). Is it possible that you have all your fans doing one or the other? That would cause your case to have very little airflow. Looking at your image, it looks to me like your rear fan might indeed be acting as an intake.

Generally, front and lower fans should be intakes. Higher and back fans should be exhaust fans.

Just a thought. . . sorta grasping at straws here since this is an odd problem.

H
 
I haven't touched the rear fan, its been left the same way since the factory so thats an exhaust, the top 120MM is an exhaust, the 2 frotn 80MM's are intakes, as well as the side 120MM as an intake. I would say I have good air flow, I use to hit about 38C on idle before with stock. I don't know what the problem is here though...
 
Bump..anything else?

I'm considering that it might be my motherboard reporting the temps wrong. I know that its not going to be exact, but could it really be off by like 7-10C? My onboard sound cut out a while ago, so do you think that maybe the motherboard is faulty? I'm thinking of RMA'ing it...
 
Back
Top