Temp of a q6600?

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
My overclocked q6600 @ 3.0ghz temp reading in differnet cores is ranging from 40-43 in idle.

Just wondering is this normal or too hot? I have a ninja heatsink too.

Mine @ 3GHz runs at 35 at idle, just for a comparison. On hot days mine is right in line with yours.

Well this days are not hot. I just bought some Shin-Etsu G-751 Thermal Compound.

Also my case is p180b and the fan speed are all set to low.

So I prob did something wrong.

I wouldn't be all to concerned with idle temps, just with load temps. Encoding x264 with all cores @ 100% I sit around 50c to 55c.

I put no stock in those synthetic stress tests, its not like I run them all day so why do they matter.

A P180B with stock fans set to low has jack shit for airflow. You should be happy with 45C idle.

I know, I had one.

Replace all the fans with something other than Tri Cools (Scythe / Noctua / Yate Loon) and you'll see a 5+C drop in temps.

mine idles at 35-38 at 3.2 at 1.4 on the vcore with my true 120
100% load is upper 50's

Well will the other fans be silent? I know silent pc tend to be hotter because there is less airflow.

Well i ordered some good paste and will see will that improve the temp . Nothing really bad happens with my pc other than if i play a gfx intensive game i got to turn up the fan or the comp might crash and reboot.

As criccio said, load temps are more important than idle temps. My q6600 @ 3.2ghz is 28/29/21/21C for each core while idle; they go up to 58-60C while loaded. My room temp is about 22C. BTW, what are you using to read your temp? Some programs are higher or lower than others. I'm using realtemp.

As criccio said, load temps are more important than idle temps. My q6600 @ 3.2ghz is 28/29/21/21C for each core while idle; they go up to 58-60C while loaded. My room temp is about 22C. BTW, what are you using to read your temp? Some programs are higher or lower than others. I'm using realtemp.

Shouldn't be the case anymore. If the TJMax is set to 100c, they should all read the same.

O boy.. not this again. The tjmax for the Q6600 is 100c. Done and done.

O boy.. not this again. The tjmax for the Q6600 is 100c. Done and done.

^oops...sorry. I saw a bunch people saying it's 90 after that article came out. I'll take your word since I'm not too tech savvy.

EDIT: with tjmax 100: idle (32/34/25/25) load (65/65/57/57)

Last edited:
It should be 100'C.

What is the current voltage of your Q6600. I got a fairly good chip that will run at 3.0ghz at 1.2V with droops down to 1.165V. So my load temps doing 40 passes of IBT is 55'C. Funnily enough, I actually have the vcore setting in my board at 1.25625V (stock VID is 1.2875). So my board undervolts a lot and doesn't have anything like LLC available to limit it.

My Q6600 is on an AC Freezer 7 w/ MX-2 in an Antec Solo with amibients at 20'C. I did replace the tri-cool with an S-Flex. It pulls about the same amount of air as the Tricool on high but much quieter.

The Scythe ninja is a much better sink than what I have. I think you might have too high of a voltage.

Weird my q6600 tj. max: says 85c

oh based on tom's page

The above data will mean that for some users the temperatures currently being reported for their cores are actually quite a fair amount off ; assuming we take Intel’s word for these maximum temperature values. For example, most temperature reporting programs would use 85°C as the Tjunction Max for a B2 E6600. According to Intel, the "official" Tjunction Max for this processor is only 70°C. That means that for a program which does not take into account any slope error, the temperature would be reported 15°C too high.

If you are using an up-to-date version of RealTemp or CoreTemp it will automatically detect the correct TJMax for Q6600's @ 100c.

Thats... odd.

Untitled-44.png

here is mine
coretempk.jpg

As I could see the revision is different.

maybe ur cpu is the new revision which i think was cooler. So maybe if i get the new paste to use might not help with lowering temp

Under 64-bit linux with speedstep @ 1.6ghz, idling, I get room temp +3-4c.

Since room temp is 23c I idle about 26-28c.

When I use the "performance" governor, at 2.4ghz with 100% cpu load (k7burn * 8), I hit an absolute maximum of 56c.

YMMV.

well i got my new paste and got very nice results. for high now. like i said before my high reached 65 now it reached. 55. but i think i applied too much paste on my cpu before.

So not sure is it becuase of the better paste i got or because i applied it correctly this time.

well it seems like the average when it is at idle is 40

if i turn up my fan to high i reached 35 maybe it would have go colder but i dont leave my fan up.

but high now seems to just be 55

well i just played some hl2 and highest temp now went to 58 . Still nothing as bad as what my cpu was before

cputemp.jpg

this is my temp @ idle.

i think its way too high. its always been this high. at loaded, it can go 90+.

my fan:
Thermaltake CL-P0391
and 1 cheap case fan.

is it because my fan is crap or what? btw, my case is pretty crap as well.

cputemp.jpg

this is my temp @ idle.

i think its way too high. its always been this high. at loaded, it can go 90+.

my fan:
Thermaltake CL-P0391
and 1 cheap case fan.

Why is your VID so high while idle (I see the x6 multiplier)?

-snip-

my fan:
Thermaltake CL-P0391
and 1 cheap case fan.

Yes, your HSF (heatsink and fan) are crap, and likely you should work on case airflow as well. That Thermaltake is barely an improvement on the stock HSF, if at all. It might be enough for a low clocked dual core, but a quad? Not at all.

Why is your VID so high while idle (I see the x6 multiplier)?

Should I lower it?

and by how much?

Didn't know that my VID was high. I was just using all default, since I didn't overclock.

Yes, your HSF (heatsink and fan) are crap, and likely you should work on case airflow as well. That Thermaltake is barely an improvement on the stock HSF, if at all. It might be enough for a low clocked dual core, but a quad? Not at all.

What should I do then? Should I buy new HSF? I'm super tight on cash atm.

Will running at this temp constantly kill my q6600 faster?

quick question where I can download free software to check the temperature for my cpu, so I will know it is good temp or no and I need a accurate and good software.

Should I lower it?

and by how much?

Didn't know that my VID was high. I was just using all default, since I didn't overclock.

What should I do then? Should I buy new HSF? I'm super tight on cash atm.

Will running at this temp constantly kill my q6600 faster?

Don't worry about your VID, it is fine.

As for getting a new HSF, yes, I would recommend it when you get a chance, but it's not like your chip will fry in the short term. Keep it at stock for now, of course. No overclocking until you get a better HSF.

I'd recommend the Xigmatech HDT-S1283 if you're on a budget. It's sufficient for quads and can be had for under $30 after rebate if you look around and wait for a sale.

Don't worry about your VID, it is fine.

My point was that his indicated VID at idle (with EIST active and 6x multiplier) is higher than my VID at 100% and full multiplier.

His VID will go higher than what you see there when he loads it up.

Are you sure "it is fine"? Perhaps his mobo BIOS is incorrectly flashed and isn't handling the CPU voltages properly, or he's inadvertently overridden a value somewhere...

My point was that his indicated VID at idle (with EIST active and 6x multiplier) is higher than my VID at 100% and full multiplier.

His VID will go higher than what you see there when he loads it up.

Are you sure "it is fine"? Perhaps his mobo BIOS is incorrectly flashed and isn't handling the CPU voltages properly, or he's inadvertently overridden a value somewhere...

Can you post pics of your coretemp?

VID shouldn't change. Vcore changes, but not VID.

My VID (as shown by CoreTemp and CPUZ) changes all the time as EIST does its thing. This has been true on my original E6400 and now on my Q6600.

I believe VID is the mechanism by which the CPU instructs mobos what voltage to use (if they are not in manual override), as such EIST uses VID to raise and lower Vcore as required. The "VID" overclockers commonly compare here is the 100% utilization or EIST-disabled VID assertion to the motherboard from the CPU.

From a quick google, read the "Motherboard:" line about "dynamic VID" here. No time now for anything more in-depth.

It's irrelevant -- depending on stepping and pack date / run there are Q6600s out there with VIDs of 1.3v and higher. 1.32 even on a G0 isn't unheard of. His isn't that high.

Voltage is the number one factor for heat generation, and he's complaining about heat. My idle VID is 1.0x when IDLE and 1.2125 under full load IIRC. It's going to make a difference - without considering it you can't talk apples-to-apples with someone complaining about heat. It's not irrelevant if he's either configured wrong, or has a particularly bad sample of the G0 Q6600.

To the OP: Do you have EIST and C1E turned on or disabled? Have you hardcoded your CPU voltage (you've mentioned you don't OC)? Is your BIOS flashed up to date? Make sure that you aren't making excessive heat before moving on to figure out why you can't get rid of it.

For what it's worth, I normally run my Q6600 at 3.0 Ghz (375 X 8). After numerous tests, I run it at 1.269 volts (vcore of 1.192). High temp of 59 celcius (Prime95 small FTT). Idle rate is normally in the mid-30s. It can be hard to compare your CPU temps to someone else's due to the variables, but you should be able to get an idea of what's acceptable. If I bumped up the voltage a few more notches and on a warmer day, I'd be around 40. So I don't think your idle temps are out of line. Maybe not as ideal as you may want, but not crazy high either.

For temps, I'm using Core Temp 0.99.4 and CPUID Hardware Monitor 1.12.0 (both with 100 Tj. Max).

Back