• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Temp doubles when under load, what's happening?

Dexmaus

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 2, 2002
Messages
83
I was fooling around with my Q9550. I'm overclocking it at 3.8ghz with 1.2550v. system idles between 38-40 degrees for all cores, but when I fire up Intelburntest the temp goes up to 80 degrees. what's going on here? I would expect only 20 degrees difference between idle and full load.
 
You are overclocking, there are not fixed rules...get over it.

.oO(Why do people always whine over hardware taken outside specs? :confused:)
 
When you increase the clockspeed and voltage of a CPU you produce more heat (simple fact) if you want to get cooler temperatures lap CPU and cooler or buy a new cooler if you are using stock.
 
Intel Burn Test is pretty much designed to heat the processor up as much as possible - it isn't unusual for such a high temp spike compared to other tests.
 
I was fooling around with my Q9550. I'm overclocking it at 3.8ghz with 1.2550v. system idles between 38-40 degrees for all cores, but when I fire up Intelburntest the temp goes up to 80 degrees. what's going on here? I would expect only 20 degrees difference between idle and full load.

Two words, Insufficient Cooling. The doubling of temperature is about right though.
 
just bought a new cooler from Frys, ran Intelburntest 10x, according Realtemp max temp is now 69 degrees. is this good?
 
Well 69C is really borderline, anything under 70C is safe. I would still try to get it down a bit more. What thermal paste are you using?
 
I'm using AS5 and applied as instructed on their website, draw a thin line in the middle then pressure it with the heatsink. also which temp reader would you guys recommend? I found out there is about 5 degree difference between Core Temp and Realtemp.
 
also which temp reader would you guys recommend? I found out there is about 5 degree difference between Core Temp and Realtemp.

I prefer the latest Real Temp beta (2.84), although the latest version of Core Temp will also report the same temperatures.
 
Back
Top