Temp Directories - Windows 10, 7

techbob

Limp Gawd
OK I will admit it is bad practice to name a directory "temp1" or similar and have that in root, but that's what I have been doing since I've been using Windows XP!

Recently on my work PC (Windows 7 Professional) on a "temp12" folder I got access denied. After installing update and rebooting, the folder and contents- instead of being accessible, disappeared . No problem it was mostly junk I was glad to get rid of.

This morning on my home PC - same thing happened - unable to access "temp2" folder - "access denied." This time I was able change permissions, rename, and I moved it (and all other non system directories) under a folder named "data" so only windows stuff is in root.

Just more magic from Windows. Again, no problems since XP days. Another reason why I love Linux!

If you put temp12 in the windows default temp folder then I can partially understand why windows deleted it (thinking it is junk). If it was in the user documents folder or outside windows system folders, then I have no idea why it would need to be deleted.
P.s. You said about love linux, one thing I don't get why they make it so uneasy to browse your own internal and external storage. Every time you need something to mount/unmount and mount again, it gets frustrating and that is on desktop GUI distributions, that are supposed to be user friendly. In windows you simply browse all your physicaly connected storage at ease anytime you want and mount only virtual images when needed. Sounds about right and logical. Sorry for offtopic.

Back