• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Temp a RAIDZ2 With a Smaller Drive

MrVining

n00b
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Messages
15
I have 5x 3TB drives that I want to use in a RAIDZ2 pool for photo & video backup. The pool will rarely get used for much so I'm not really all that worried about speeds / performance.

I would like to create the pool with those (5) 3TB drives and (1) 1.5TB drive for now until I get a matching 3TB drive to replace the 1.5TB drive. I just wanted to make sure that when I replace the 1.5TB drive the storage space in the pool will expand giving me ~12TB in total.
 
Yes this will just work :)

assuming you didn't use partitions and give zfs the whole disk.

You just turn on autoextend for the pool, reboot, then turn autoextend back off (to keep mishaps from happening).
 
I'm not sure I even know how to use zfs on a partition in Solaris. I wish I did though, because I would like to do something similar and temp a mirrored pool with two 1.5TB drives and swap them out for 1TB drives later. I literally have a pile of old 1.5TB drives that have "some" life left in them.

Thank you for the response BTW.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top