• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

temjin TJ08B-E fan noise.

dodonpachi

n00b
Joined
Aug 7, 2012
Messages
61
Hi

I have this case with the build listed in my signature. I find the 180mm penetrator fan a bit intrusively loud. Plugged into my motherboard I can only have the fan set to high via the switch on the case. If I switch to low the fan just spins down.

Can anyone tell me the possible reason for this? Should I get a pwm to molex adaptor and plug it in like that to get it to spin slower? Should I just get a Noctua NF-P14s or similar quiet 140mm fan instead?

Thanks
 
Some people are more sensitive to noise than others.

You could go with either the adapter or the fan switch but keep in mind that you'll have reduced airflow regardless.
 
Yeah the fan is a bit noisy on HIGH but you can leave the switch on HIGH connect the fan to a fan header on your motherboard- depending on what sort of fan control it offers- you can quiet it down where u cant really hear it and it still pushes a decent amount of air.

See this page here for great information/tips/tricks/pictures regarding this page- might take you a day to get through it :p

http://www.overclock.net/t/1068487/silverstone-tj08-e-owners-club/6760
 
From the product page, the Silverstone 180mm AP181 has a starting voltage of over 10.8V when in low RPM mode, which is pretty high. This may be why your fan is spinning down...your fan header isn't making the cut (maybe you have a BIOS control on it).

I don't think there are alternative fan mounting options on that Temjin, and there really aren't any alternatives for 180mm fans other than the Phobya G-Silent which isn't designed for smaller chassis (but starting voltage is 2.5V).
The AP181 outputs between 65 and 130 CFM, which very few if any 140mm fans can do.

edit:
Even if your temps are low, the Phobya is probably a bad idea since the 900RPM model maxes at only 56 CFM.
 
Back
Top