TELUS Smartphone Retention - good deal?

the_b_man

Limp Gawd
My Telus plan:
Clear Choice $50 (100mins+500MB+Unlimited to 5 friends) (I pay 0.15 per text)
Voicemail Free w/Plan
Caller ID $7
---
$57

Bell offers: (On 3 year plan, and after taking a Palm Pre [I don't care about the device])
$50 -$15 Promo = $35. (100mins+500MB+Unlimited to 5 friends)
Voicemail + Caller ID Combo Pack $12 (The $15 Combo pack would include text)
---
$47 ($50 with Text)

I called Telus, mentioned Bell's deal and got:
Clear Choice $50 w/ Voicemail (no price drop)
Gratis: Caller ID, Text package
---
$50

(I am willing to pay the $3 more for the text package, or not. The price delta is $3 at both Bell and Telus, meanwhile I spend ~$3 on individual texts anyway. So the text thing is basically moot.)

So they're even, dollar for dollar.

Questions:
1) *biggie* These offers come with a contract, and the perks END the moment I'm not in a contract anymore. So, I can agree to a 1-year no-phone and re-negotiate after the year, or a 3-year with-phone, and again, re-negotiate after 3 years.
Is it normal to not get to keep a retention deal after the associated contract expires?
2) Can I go further? I am happy with this but really, it's just matching Bell (and letting me get a better device than the Pre). Has anyone done better at Telus?

Thanks all.

On my Rogers retention plan I get:
350 Weekday minutes
Unlimited Eve/Wknd after 6pm
Unlimited incoming
Unlimited Rogers-to-Rogers
Unlimited send/receive Text & Multimedia Messages
10c/min long distance
500MB Data
Visual Caller ID / Voicemail

For $62/mo (Have two of these, one with a 1GB BES package instead of the 500MB Smartphone data)

I'm pretty sure I'll want to re-negotiate my plan before 3yrs is up. I can do a hardware upgrade every 6 months as well.

when you sign into a contract, the terms of the contract almost always stay even after the contract expires until you manually change the terms, sign a new contract, or terminate the line. deals usually stick for the life of your line. there are exceptions but this is the rule

marylandman,
That was my understanding of cell contracts as well; a deal continues after your obligation is complete. And that's certainly true of most cell contracts. However it's possible that retention deals don't follow that rule of thumb, that they are somehow different. That's what the rep said on the phone, although she could have been mistaken/lying. I thought I'd ask in case anyone else had seen a retention deal through to the end of the contract, and what happened at that point. I will ask the next CSR I talk to about this and see how they respond.

SilverMK3,
I believe my unlimited evenings start at 9PM, and my long distance is generally covered by the 5 friends feature. These aspects are sufficient for my needs, I'm really focusing on getting the monthly cost lower moreso than bulking up on features. Looks like $50 is as good as I'll get assuming my requirements of voice, data, CID, VM, and a small SMS bundle (or a few dollars worth of per-SMS fees each month).

0mega, I notice in your sig that you're on Telus. Mind sharing details of your plan and how you got it?

Mine is an employee plan. Being that I sell their phones, I know that they can do a LOT better.

Sunday, Rogers gave one woman, for 55 TAXES AND GRF IN.

Unlimited local.
1000LD minutes
unlimited text
CID+VM

why? They threatened to move to chatr.

Heh.

It was awesome.

Save at all costs these days. Competition is fierce. Call back and ask for more. You can prob get a way better deal, but be realistic. As well the pre sucks balls on bell. Go with an android or bb or iPhone on telus.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Here's mine on Rogers:

300 Daytime Minutes
Unlimited Evenings / Weekends after 6pm
Unlimited Rogers-Rogers and Rogers-Fido
2500 Text Messages
Caller ID
Voicemail
500MB Data

$44/month, GRF and Taxes in.

I added an extra $5 recently to get 6GB data for a total of about $50, but I'm not sure that I need the 6GB.. might go back to my $44.

Btw with Rogers at least, the discounts that Retensions applies expire at the end of your contract.

Sean,
Yeah I don't really want a Pre, but it's pretty good leverage in a retention conversation since the $35 voice+data deal is pretty good.

RabitRat,
That is a wicked plan. Well done sir. From browsing RedFlagDeals I am seeing some people getting extremely awesome plans like this, but only from Rogers, and it generally takes them years to achieve it. From many comments I've seen, it seems Telus is much stingier about giving discounts.

just want to toss in my retention plan with bell. got an sgs which i am loving.

$45
150min
fab5
500mb
call display
voicemail
250out/unlimited in texts
early evenings/weekends

From RFD forums, apparently it's currently next to impossible to get Telus below $50 for voice and data. However, I did manage to get a decent enough deal to retain me for 3 more years (and got a Desire!)

For future reference for anyone on Telus, here's what I got. The freebies expire after contract ends.

V+D 50 (100mins, wkends/9PM evenings, 500MB, My5, VM3) (seemingly the same as Clear Choice 50, but with different name)
100 LD minutes
Text 250 (250 out, unlt incoming)
CID

Other things I could have likely gotten include more daytime minutes (my gf achieved this), and earlier evenings. However, I pretty much only call the 5 people on my list, and the odd brief LD call, so I pushed for different items instead. Was not possible to get more data without going up to the next plan.

Also for future reference, here is the RFD thread (2 years in the making; skip to last page and work backwards to see up-to-date Telus retentions info) http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-telus-retention-plan-617794/

(Edit: SP)

Last edited:
Back