Telus ADSL -> Modem/Router -> 2x Routers?

Triptoph

n00b
I'm pretty weak when it comes to networking, I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me.

I currently have a Siemens Gigaset SE567 Modem/Router combo that Telus provided for use with their high-speed Internet service.

I would like to use a second router (I'm considering a D-LINK DIR-655 or WRT54GL) and attach it in such a way that it is unhampered by the Gigaset router.

How would one go about doing this? Do I need to buy an ADSL modem that doesn't have a router (seems hard to find) and connect the Gigaset and the new router to this modem? Or can i use the Gigaset as the modem without having it filter anything to the new router, but still use it as a router for other people using the same ADSL line? :confused:

The reason I want to do this is because the Gigaset seems to have very limited options, making it difficult to run my own web server to show clients work, and it apparently lacks the ability to allow enough ports through to run Steam, so all steam games don't work with it. Frustrating.

Very much appreciate any suggestions!

See if you can set the Gigaset into bypass mode. That makes it operate as a modem only. Then you can set the router to do all routing tasks. That should solve your Gigaset routing problems with a web site.

BTW - does Telus permit you to run a web server? Some of those big ISPs don't* and won't pass the web request in to a web server. That may be why your web server doesn't work.

*They tend to not allow this on residential accounts. They do allow this on ($$$) commercial accounts.

Taking a look through it's web-based interface, I can disable the firewall, or enable DMZ but doesn't look like there is any full bypass mode there. Hmm. Is there possibly some other way to turn bypass mode on outside of the web-based interface? I presume the web-based interface wouldn't be accessible if bypass mode was on, so perhaps another way to do this is likely...

I don't think Telus does allow web servers, and hence probably blocks port 80, but I can just use another port, and probably wouldn't attract much attention as traffic to these sites would be almost non-existant (just clients looking at beta versions of software / websites)

Just plug the 2nd router into one of the 4 Lan ports, not the 1 Wan port of the main router. Then go into the 2nd router and point it to Siemens Gigaset SE567 Modem/Router which should be either 192.168.0.1 or 1.0. You point the 2nd router toward your Gateway by assigning your Gateway and DNS IP address for whatever the Siemens Gigaset SE567 Modem/Router IP is. You can find the IP of the main router by either going into the web interface of it or bringing up the Command Prompt. Then you would just type ipconfig /all in the Command Prompt. Then turn-off DHCP in the 2nd router so you would only have one router with DHCP turned on.

When you turn-off the DHCP in every wireless router this basically turns it into a wireless switch.

So it should look like this.

Main Router -> 2nd Router -> Computers

192.168.0.1 -> 192.168.0.2 -> 192.168.0.3 - 20 or how many computer you expect you use.

You should call the ISP and request a dedicated modem (mention that you would like to use your own router).

Thanks for the information! I'm a little worried about connecting the 2nd router to the Siemens as I fear it may filter traffic... Perhaps I will see if I can get a modem from my ISP as suggested. If their modem only has one out port I assume i could hook it up to a switch, then connect the two routers to the switch. I know I can get two IP addresses from them, so I'm guessing that would work...

Just plug the 2nd router into one of the 4 Lan ports, not the 1 Wan port of the main router. Then go into the 2nd router and point it to Siemens Gigaset SE567 Modem/Router which should be either 192.168.0.1 or 1.0. You point the 2nd router toward your Gateway by assigning your Gateway and DNS IP address for whatever the Siemens Gigaset SE567 Modem/Router IP is. You can find the IP of the main router by either going into the web interface of it or bringing up the Command Prompt. Then you would just type ipconfig /all in the Command Prompt. Then turn-off DHCP in the 2nd router so you would only have one router with DHCP turned on.

When you turn-off the DHCP in every wireless router this basically turns it into a wireless switch.

So it should look like this.

Main Router -> 2nd Router -> Computers

192.168.0.1 -> 192.168.0.2 -> 192.168.0.3 - 20 or how many computer you expect you use.

except, if the modem/router is still acting as a router, it's still doing NAT. Port forwarding would then need to be done by both routers. Simply disabling DHCP does *not* turn it into a switch, because it's still doing NAT.

does it have an option to set it to GATEWAY mode?

edit: have you tried this? http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Siemens/Gigaset-SE567/Echolink.htm

There is no Gateway mode that i've seen. The port forwarding as shown is very limited unfortunately. Apparently the firmware is a bit crippled by Telus' own custom firmware.

except, if the modem/router is still acting as a router, it's still doing NAT. Port forwarding would then need to be done by both routers. Simply disabling DHCP does *not* turn it into a switch, because it's still doing NAT.

Let me quote myself and put it in bold. Notice the bold part of what I said.

"When you turn-off the DHCP in every wireless router this basically turns it into a wireless switch."

It doesn't matter if NAT is still enabled or not. As long as DHCP is turned-off on one of the routers and the Gateway is pointed to the other router, everything will work perfect. The only time there is going to be issues is when DHCP is turned-on in both routers. It will still work but you will have connection drops.

Like in my home, I have two routers. One is the Actiontec DSL Modem model GT701R and the other is the NetGear WGR 614. The reason I'm using a 2nd router is because the Actiontec modem/router doesn't have wireless.

Let me quote myself and put it in bold. Notice the bold part of what I said.

"When you turn-off the DHCP in every wireless router this basically turns it into a wireless switch."

It doesn't matter if NAT is still enabled or not. As long as DHCP is turned-off on one of the routers and the Gateway is pointed to the other router, everything will work perfect. The only time there is going to be issues is when DHCP is turned-on in both routers. It will still work but you will have connection drops.

Like in my home, I have two routers. One is the Actiontec DSL Modem model GT701R and the other is the NetGear WGR 614. The reason I'm using a 2nd router is because the Actiontec modem/router doesn't have wireless.

If NAT is still enabled, then it will still need to have port forwarding done. If he can't do port forwarding, then it's pointless. Since his router has no gateway mode, it will always be acting as a router. If he can't port-forward, then it can't route correctly. :)

If NAT is still enabled, then it will still need to have port forwarding done. If he can't do port forwarding, then it's pointless. Since his router has no gateway mode, it will always be acting as a router. If he can't port-forward, then it can't route correctly. :)

You do realize that the Siemens Gigaset SE567 Modem/Router will be his primary router and the D-LINK DIR-655 or WRT54GL will be his 2nd router? The Siemens Gigaset SE567 doesn't need to have "Gateway mode". His main router isn't the one that is going to be pointed to a Gateway.

You do realize that the Siemens Gigaset SE567 Modem/Router will be his primary router and the D-LINK DIR-655 or WRT54GL will be his 2nd router? The Siemens Gigaset SE567 doesn't need to have "Gateway mode". His main router isn't the one that is going to be pointed to a Gateway.

yes I do.
and it's doing NAT. Correct? If port forwarding cannot be setup on the Siemens Gigaset, then how is that data going to get to the 2nd router?
If you can't forward a port in the first router, and it's still acting as a router, how will doing a port forward on the 2nd router help?
The first router (Siemens Gigaset) won't forward the port 80 request, since it cannot be set up to do port forwarding, so the 2nd router won't even get it.

For the data to leave the network yes, that's nothing to worry about, as you said. But if he wants to run a webserver, and the Siemens cannot forward a port to the internal network, then adding a 2nd router will not help, as the HTTP requests (for whatever port he chooses) will not get forwarded to the webserver, so therefore the clients will not receive an answer.

I think you need to read up on the Siemens Gigaset SE567.

maybe you should read posts more clearly :) I already posted that link.

There is no Gateway mode that i've seen. The port forwarding as shown is very limited unfortunately. Apparently the firmware is a bit crippled by Telus' own custom firmware.

This was OP's response when I posted the PortForward.com link.

If port forwarding cannot be setup on the Siemens Gigaset, then how is that data going to get to the 2nd router?
If you can't forward a port in the first router, and it's still acting as a router, how will doing a port forward on the 2nd router help?

Port forwarding can be setup. That is the reason I posted the link. Yeah, sorry about not seeing that you already posted the link.

I'm done with this song and dance. He can connect another router. He can open the port 8080 or whatever he wishes to let the web server use.

Port forwarding can be setup. That is the reason I posted the link. Yeah, sorry about not seeing that you already posted the link.

I'm done with this song and dance. He can connect another router. He can open the port 8080 or whatever he wishes to let the web server use.

unless he can't find/access the port forwarding screen on his Siemens Gigaset, which he mentioned he couldn't ;)

Back