Tell us why your window manager is the best

berky

2[H]4U
ok, i sorta wanted to take the linux distro thread and change it to a window manager thread. i'm curious what all window managers everyone uses and why. i dont' have much experience other than kde and gnome, other than enlightenment, which was pretty cool, mostly because of it's 'restart enlightenment' feature that made it easy to apply changes to the WM. i'd like to see some input on the lesser used WM's so people can determine if they'd like to give it a try. if not, well i'm interested in trying out some different ones. :D

what have the rest of you used, and what do you like about each? (post even if all you use is kde or gnome, cuz i'd like to hear what you have to say on those too)

discuss

:)

I think fluxbox is my favourite. It is lean and clean. I'm using xfce4 right now because everyone is saying how cool it was but it feels like a toy and I don't like it but I just haven't switched back to fluxbox yet. Fluxbox has a restart command too. As far as kde vs gnome, I prefer kde. KDE just seems to fit better.

I use Gnome because its simple. Should anything crash, such as panels or applets, they are automatically restarted.

IMHO the Windows 95+ interface is the second-best there is. Gnome adds speed and stability to the interface to give you something predictable and easy to use.

just out of curiosity, is there some place i can go to find a list of all the WM's available?

I use Gnome because its simple. Should anything crash, such as panels or applets, they are automatically restarted.

Gnome's not a window manager, it's a desktop. You can use diffrent WMs with it.

just out of curiosity, is there some place i can go to find a list of all the WM's available?

There's too many to count but you can find a lot of the major ones here (AKA - the first google result when you search for 'window manager' :p).

Metacity is Gnome's default WM and kwin is KDE's. I am kind of new to linux, so I haven't experimented with any WM except KDE's. I here good things about fluxbox though.

I'm kind of fond of WindowMaker. It's not the newest, the 1337est or most flexible, but it's a good, solid WM that provides a fairly unique way of operating (well, it's a copy of NeXT's desktop but...).

...and you can get all kinds of nifty dock apps.

Another vote for fluxbox, but I'm quite still pretty n00bish, so take that as you may.

Also, I'm pretty sure all the Window Maker dockapps work under fluxbox. I'm using wmclockmon, wmmemload, wmnetload, wmcpuload, and wmupmon.

screenie: http://plaza.ufl.edu/bradt/nixss.png

edit: I notice now that its's a pretty old screenshot, so the wm dockapps aren't there... I'll have to update it before long. Also the stuff in the bottom terminal was a joke (obviously) :)

Originally posted by jpmkm
I think fluxbox is my favourite. It is lean and clean. I'm using xfce4 right now because everyone is saying how cool it was but it feels like a toy and I don't like it but I just haven't switched back to fluxbox yet. Fluxbox has a restart command too. As far as kde vs gnome, I prefer kde. KDE just seems to fit better.

I'm running fluxbox myself but i'm haveing trouble with themes and styles. Today I was trying to figure out how to add a theme that I downloaded off the internet. But also the list of differen't pre loaded styles are not comeing up anymore on the menu? this ever happen to you?

Originally posted by bradt
Another vote for fluxbox, but I'm quite still pretty n00bish, so take that as you may.

Also, I'm pretty sure all the Window Maker dockapps work under fluxbox. I'm using wmclockmon, wmmemload, wmnetload, wmcpuload, and wmupmon.

screenie: http://plaza.ufl.edu/bradt/nixss.png

edit: I notice now that its's a pretty old screenshot, so the wm dockapps aren't there... I'll have to update it before long. Also the stuff in the bottom terminal was a joke (obviously) :)

what do you use for screen shots?

Originally posted by darkmyth
what do you use for screen shots?

I used the GIMP. File >> Aquire >> Screenshot...
It lets you set how many seconds you want to pass before the screenshot is actually taken, and I believe it takes the mouse out of the picture.

I go for Fluxbox too. Lightweight, simple, and fast. I've used a few others, and Windowmaker and Enlightenment are good too, but I just really like Fluxbox.

Back