Tell me your 9800Pro OCs.

evilnickwong

Weaksauce
I just picked up a 2 month old Powercolor 9800 Pro 128MB 2 days ago.
I know every card is different, but would you guys mind telling me what are the usual OCs a 9800 Pro yields?
Default clocks are 380/680, I'm thinking of going to about 400/700. Is that possible on the stock HSF and no ramsinks?

Just try and see , I've seen some pull 440core on stock cooling , I can barley hit that on water. It's just luck of the draw sometimes. I'm able to hit 371mem with out sinks or anything.

402/370

It won't go past 402 without showing sporatic white dots in the Real Time Lighting Demo (The one with the skull).

I haven't tried OCing and doing stability testing with 3dmark03 or anything yet.
But I did run ATiTool.
For my core, the max it got before 1 pixel was mismatched according to the log was 428.7MHz.
For memory, 379.5MHz.

I'm just wondering whether ATiTool is very accurate. Plus I aborted the search because after awhile it just stayed at a certain frequency.

460 on the core, stock cooling (stock heatsink/fan with Shin-Etsu), no artifacts etc., no white dots till it gets over 465. To make up for the wonderful core, ATI stuck me with memory that artifacts at anything over 360.

ATItool isn't happy unless I'm at 400/380.
I can hit the core up to 425 and run 3dmark and aquamark all day long and I don't see any errors. Mem on the other hand, won't budge over 380.
Running a Sapphire 9800pro w/stock cooling.

I'm planning to remove the stock cooler and reseat it using some AS5 or Ceramique.
How do I pop off those push pins and how do I replace it later? Is there anything I should know about the shim, how much paste I should apply and so on? This is my first ATi card, so I'm a noob here :D

445/400 stock powercolor

for some reason ATi Tool has put me at 467/423 quite a few times.... if i try that speed and then run anything except desktop....

[H]ard lock

I can't go over 395 Core, but my mem goes up to 390.

Any ideas? Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Just didn't get an overclocker (for the core, atleast) I guess?

420 on the core and 360 for the memory. I am tempted to attach some ramsinks since I have some laying around but I don't feel like doing it right now. Maybe spring break.

I had 511/ 389 My score is was 6888 in 3dmark03. This was with an MCW50-T though.

Wow, those are good OCs :)
Thanks for the input guys.

Can anyone give me some tips on replacing the stock TIM with some better AS5?
I read that the HSF on the 9800pro is already made in such a way to compensate for the shim around the core... Is there anything I need to know b4 I do this?

I JUST got my saphire and popped it in.. Did 405/350 on the first try, I'll look to push it further later... Stock cooling too..

when atitool find max core oc, it hovers around 402 core but the heatsink tips are burning to the touch so i just keep it at default until i get some better cooling. way to hot for me at 402 with stock cooling.

edit: ill get back to you on what atitool says max memory is.

edit: says 365 on memory max. again burning to the touch, not comforable with it that hot. until an arctic silencer and copper ramsinks ill keep it at default.

420/378 on water plus ramsinks. Haven't bothered to push the core further, but I know it will go farther than that. I think ATI Tool found that 450 was max stable.

Yeah I'm kinda worried that evn though it's stable, it might be really too hot for 24/7 use. Maybe I'll stick to something like 400/700 for continuous use.

DAMN YOU FRYS. They dont carry the 9800 pro for some reason. Who would want to carry a 200 dollar card that rivals the 9800xt and sells like hotcakes? Makes a lot of sense Frys. Good Game Frys.

Originally posted by evilnickwong
Yeah I'm kinda worried that evn though it's stable, it might be really too hot for 24/7 use. Maybe I'll stick to something like 400/700 for continuous use.

Or you could set ATI Tool to run stock in 2d settings (desktop) and have it overclocked when you enter a 3d environment (games)

best i can get mine is 410/360. anything over that even by one produces artifacts in the nature test of 3dmark 2003. I have 2 of the Iceberg kits with ram sinks on each side of the card, and the all copper ice berg cooler on the chipset, with stock i could only go to 390/340 with no artifacts. Hope this helps you out some.

Originally posted by Runemage

Pentium 4 2.8E Overclocked to 3.64
512 Megs Corsair PC 3500XMS
Abit IS7
Koolance Exos Cooled
120 Gig HD
ATI Raedon 9800 Pro
fix your sig :D

So when you hit Find Max Core or Find Max Mem in ATiTool you just let it go? I just ran this program for the first time. I hit Find Core Clock it began its cycle of raising the clock and then running the "heat-up" test or something. When the clock got to 420, the tests kept running without artifacts but the clock speed did not move any further up. I'm guessing this means 420 is my max? On memory it stopped at 342.90, should I let the tests keep going or what? They're like the frickin energizer bunny

EDIT: Just did the Mem again and the clock went up to 367.20. Seems to be stuck there for now. The tests are still running.

EDIT2: Aborted and ran it again and got over 368. Not bad. The card doesn't seem to be hot at all.

Originally posted by AdamK47
402/370

It won't go past 402 without showing sporatic white dots in the Real Time Lighting Demo (The one with the skull).

Thank you you make me feel better. I thought I was alone with a crappy overclocking 9800 PRO. 400 seem to be the sweetspot for me to.

saphire 9800 non-pro flashed to pro.. 440/385 on an mcw-50.. when i refine my WCing setup here soon hopefully i'll be able to hit a little higher.. 6400 and some odd 3dmark's

sapphire 9800 Pro 256MB DDRII

450 core / 400 mem

the memory gets HOT, about 150-160 degrees on the ramsinks.

I have the saphire card I got two days ago and with stock cooling am running cpu at 415 and memory at 382=764

My Stock Cooled BB ATI 9800 (non pro) clocks to 412/658 (329mhz) Ram. That's up from the default non pro clock of 324/290. Stable in everything. The Ram is Samsung, so it's only rated to 333mhz but the GPU clocks higher & the card is more stable if I back the ram down to 329mhz. :confused: Go figure.

Anyway, not bad for a non pro & the GPU may go higher than this but I dunno if I'll push it much more since my Ram is maxed out. When I order my next card I may try to find the upper limits of this one, but not just yet. I'm getting performance between a 9800pro & an XT, all from a card I bought for $239 6 months ago, I can't complain.

BTW, I use only Powerstrip for overclocking. Good luck!

Back