Tell me what I am looking for....

Pagan_Ranger

Limp Gawd
Hi Everyone,

My house was wired for Ethernet. However, all lines terminate to a flat panel outside my home.

Eventually, I am going to re-wire the house so that all wires (and some new ones) terminate to my garage, where I have a network rack.

Until then, I am looking for a temporary solution. I just do not know what it is called.

Basically it is a panel/board that I can wire all the connectors together outside with no power. If I connect a wire to my router in one room, than all the other rooms are connected. Some sort of switch, I suppose.

I have seen these before, however, I do not know what it is called.

Can anyone help identify what I am looking for?

Thank you!

You are looking for a "passive hub". It's a pretty crummy solution though.

I'd look at getting AC power to the junction box and sticking a cheap switch in there personally.

You are looking for a "passive hub". It's a pretty crummy solution though.

I'd look at getting AC power to the junction box and sticking a cheap switch in there personally.

Yeah, I figured it would not be the ideal solution. Just a temp fix until I rewire the house.

I could possible get power out there, without two much trouble. Or find a 5-8 port Switch that supports POE.

Still, since it it temporary, I want to keep the cost down. I'll lookinto how hard it would be add power.

Really, I am just looking for a cheap way to connect my blueray players that do not have wireless, as there is a ethernet port next to every cable port.

something like THIS with a power injector might suffice, although it's probably a bit more than you're really wanting to spend. I think 3COM made something similar and cheaper, but this was the first thing I found in a pinch.

something like THIS with a power injector might suffice, although it's probably a bit more than you're really wanting to spend. I think 3COM made something similar and cheaper, but this was the first thing I found in a pinch.

That is a very cool device! However, you are correct; more than I am looking to spend on a temporary solution.. That device though looks like it is also an access point. Pretty nifty being that it also has a power injector.

I took a good look and it may not be that difficult to run power over. So I may just put a cheap unmanaged 8-port switch in there temporarily.

Thanks for the info!

Back