Tell me about ROUTERS :)

00fil00

Weaksauce
I know NOTHING about routers and am bewildered by the options. I dont know if i need a pre-n or a normal or what. All i need it for is i want to be able to play pc games online in my bedroom with no lag while my parents downstairs check their email and browse online, possibly download the odd picture or video but i will accept lag if they download a video. dont need security or anything as there is no1 else in the house to hack into it from range and i live on a street with old people lol. i have the a8n32 mobo so dont really have any pci slots. our modem right now is a USB. what is it i need? is it possible that i have the modem and they have some kind of extension as lag is more my problem than theirs? am i looking for wireless as im upstairs? i dont know how this works.

1) Unless you want to run ethernet cables from the router to the various rooms where you have computers, you'll want to get a wireless router. Most wireless routers also have several wired ports.
2) A router won't (well, shouldn't) create any noticable lag. Cheaper wireless routers, however, aren't real great at maintaining a connection(that's bad for games). I personally prefer wired ethernet for my (formerly) gaming computer. However, if you decide to go for wireless in your gaming rig, you'll have to buy a PCI card.
3) Even if you don't have anybody around that might hop on your wireless network, you should still use whatever security features your router provides. Make the local wardrivers hop onto your elderly neighbors' internet connection
4) Typically, cable and DSL modems have ethernet ports as well as USB ports. Just plug a normal ethernet cable from the WAN port on the router to the ethernet port on the modem

Mohonri said:
1) Unless you want to run ethernet cables from the router to the various rooms where you have computers, you'll want to get a wireless router. Most wireless routers also have several wired ports.
2) A router won't (well, shouldn't) create any noticable lag. Cheaper wireless routers, however, aren't real great at maintaining a connection(that's bad for games). I personally prefer wired ethernet for my (formerly) gaming computer. However, if you decide to go for wireless in your gaming rig, you'll have to buy a PCI card.
3) Even if you don't have anybody around that might hop on your wireless network, you should still use whatever security features your router provides. Make the local wardrivers hop onto your elderly neighbors' internet connection
4) Typically, cable and DSL modems have ethernet ports as well as USB ports. Just plug a normal ethernet cable from the WAN port on the router to the ethernet port on the modem

thanks for replying. so i should go for wired then? does wired still use pci card/slots? because i dont have any to spare. i dont think my modem has ethernet ports, its this one here "the stingray" do you know if it does? https://secure.dsl-warehouse.com/images/speedtouch_usb.jpg

Back