Telephony Primer

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking for a good resource for a telephony primer. Starting a new job and I would like to be on the up and up when it comes to my first day.

Specifically what do you need/want to know?
Newton's Telecom Dictionary is a good reference, but most people, myself included, learned on the job.

In the job description: moves, adds, and changes on for both IT and telephony related items.
I also need to deal with overseeing dial-tone and internet orders.

Not sure what that second part is about, but I am guessing it has something to do with setting up the services in the first place.
The company seems to more favor Avaya, with Shoretel and Cisco being offered as well.

I am planning on learning on the job, but it would be nice to be able to jump in with a good idea of whats going on.

Well, it is hard to get training on those systems if you don't work for a dealer...Avaya does have their manuals on the web for anyone to look at. The second part seems to me like you will be coordinating with carriers to order new service. That can be a job in itself...because we all know at&t is perfect. :rolleyes:
Have you done any basic cabling? Do you have a toner, punchdown tool, etc...if it's a non-voip system you will need those to move extensions around. Every system is different, especially with voip.

Yeah I have done cabling and I have all the tools, so I am just more looking for more of the software side like how the whole system as a whole is configured after the system itself is all wired up.

The company is a dealer as it would seem, but I will be checking out Avaya's site as well.

Well if you are on an Avaya system I found this to be a nice beginners guide.

Avaya has many systems, they don't all work the same.
Is the company you work for an end user, or do they install phone systems for other people. That's what I meant by being an Avaya dealer, that they sell and support systems and receive factory training from the manufacturer.

dealer, we setup everything. I'm sure I'll be getting training but it would be nice to hit the ground running.

I would find out which systems you guys install and support, then head over to support.avaya.com
They have manuals, programming info, etc. for just about every AT&T/Lucent/Avaya product.

I'm in the phone recording business and the easiest installs we have are Avaya environments. Shoretel is pretty much the poor man's Cisco.

For your sake I hope you stick more with Avaya. Their support has always been good to us as well.

Personally, I cut my teeth on Iwatsu and Inter-Tel (which is now Mitel) but have worked on small Panasonic, Nortel, and Avaya. I've had to venture into some Vodavi stuff too. If I can get the manual, I can figure it out!

Back